Current and Finished Projects > Scifi and Fantasy

Interstellar cargo ship "Hidden Variables"

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Strangely enough, Starship Modeler has a "Seeds Contest" going right now and one of the "seed" kits is the Pegasus' Apollo 27. 
The contest lists these seed kits as providing the necessary shapes for the contest entries for:
Pointy Shapes (Pegasus Apollo 27)
Saucer Shapes (AMT K-7 Space Station)
Odd Shapes (Mobieus Spindrift Mini-Rocket Transport)

JP Vieira:
Very intersting; keep it up

Weaver:
Looks promising Frank! I've only read "Use of Weapons" myself, but it's enough to know the guy has both one hell of an imagination AND a sense of humour!

--- Quote from: Dr. YoKai on January 28, 2012, 05:36:28 AM ---   The ship names in the Culture novels are inspired. Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

--- End quote ---

Indeed they are (just been looking up some more than the ones I already know). Two other excellent ship names for consideration though:

1. The Lying Bastard starship from Larry Niven's Ringworld books. IIRC, it got it's name because custom dictated that the ship's name should be the first words spoken aboard her...

2. The Linear Bee ether ship from Michael Moorcock's War Amongst the Angels books. Linear B is an ancient script, used in the Mycenean civilisation. The Linear Bee's Captain Quelch flies for the forces of Order, or "The Singularity", who wish to civilise the Multiverse by imposing linearity upon it, and thereby acting as gents of a simplifying, consuming force called "The Original Insect" by it's detractors, so it's a pun that works in at least three ways.

Frank3k:
I renamed the ship "Hidden Variables" since it's using parts from two ships. I should have renamed it "A lot more PSR than meets the eye".

It's a lot longer now; here it is held together mostly with tape and blue-tac:

The wings and tail are from a 1/200 DML B-52.
The center section has a coke bottle shape at the joint because (as I discovered after cutting everything) the sections are slightly tapered cylinders. I may leave it as is or I'll wrap a wide strip of styrene around it.

Everything is starting to fall apart in this pic; the rear section is not wider than the central cylinder; it's just sliding out of place.

--- Quote from: Dr. YoKai ---   The ship names in the Culture novels are inspired. Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

--- End quote ---

No kidding. Here's a list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_Culture_setting

The GSV Just Read The Instructions is clearly not a whiffer.

Jeff, I saw the SSM contest, but I had already picked this ship by the time I saw the contest. I love this one: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/entry_02.htm and may borrow some of the ideas.

Thanks for all the comments!

sotoolslinger:
OOOOOOHHHH :-*Slick lookin classic ship shape :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version