Modelling > Land

M41 Walker ''Bulldog'' Light Tank

(1/26) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
M41 Walker ''Bulldog'' Light Tank

Click on html or image to view Wikipedia article on the M41 light tank. 

Quite surprised that we have not had a topic on the M41 Walker light tank before now.  Considering how many nations around the world have been using this particular vehicle for a number of years with some still active though the majority by now are retired from service and have been scrapped, turned into artificial reefs, or monuments. 

I have often wondered if the M41 could handle the 17pdr in lieu of the 76mm gun it was manufactured with.  A nice subtle what if by simply changing the gun tube out would certainly be fun. 

Other ideas for a what if M41 would be to arm it with a 105mm howitzer instead of the 76mm gun. 

Another option would be to use a 57mm gun instead of the 76mm? 

LemonJello:
Add side skirts and a more slab-sided turret ala' the M1 and you could have a light/airmobile tank to rival the Sheridan in use with the XVIII Airborne Corps.

Kerick:
Some bolt on ceramic armor or explosive panels and some slat armor. Add some boxes around the turret to change its shape. It would make some fun whiffing as the Tamiya kit is pretty cheap.

Weaver:
Always liked the "feel" of the M-41, irrespective of it's capabilities and limitations. It has a balanced, poised feel to it, much like the Chaffee before it. :)

I'd think a 90mm gun would be high on the shopping list (some countries have done it). If the Panhard ERC-90 armoured car can take the GIAT TS-90 high-velocity weapon, then I can't see the M-41 having a problem.

Jeffry Fontaine:
One of my pet peeves with the M41 is the commanders cupola.  It seems to be fixed and does not rotate, I want to see if a different cupola will fit where the current cupola resides.  While the AFV Club and Skybow M41 kits both had separate parts for the cupola and a rather round hole where it fits, the Tamiya has it molded to th turret.  Still it would be interesting to see if something different could be mounted in that same location. 

--- Quote from: LemonJello on March 17, 2014, 08:17:00 PM ---Add side skirts and a more slab-sided turret ala' the M1 and you could have a light/airmobile tank to rival the Sheridan in use with the XVIII Airborne Corps.
--- End quote ---

Could not agree more with you on that John.  A completely different turret with a bit more bustle and storage would go a long ways towards making it look more purposeful.  Maybe take a Leopard 1A4 turret and see if that will fit. 

The M41 definitely needs a diesel engine to give it better range and less of a fire hazard for the crew. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version