Modelling > Sea

Amphibious Ships, Vessels, and Landing Craft

<< < (3/8) > >>

Volkodav:
I could see a San Antonio being upgraded like this, medium calibre gun or even an AGS, perhaps a VLS and improved sensors, maybe a CEAFAR Mast. 

dy031101:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on May 15, 2016, 10:46:10 AM ---I could see them being the first to purchase export MH-53K's, but I doubt the CH-53E and/or MH-53E will ever go up for sale, even when replaced as they are just too worn out to be worth it.
--- End quote ---

MH-53E was an item that was brought up during the Bush Jr. administration.  If ROCN wasn't going to take it then, it's extremely unlikely that they ever will take it.

I don't know which one I'd like better for airborne mine countermeasure, MH-53K or MH-60S (so as to also be able to use the vacant second hangar on Cheng Kung a.k.a. O.H. Perry class frigates).

--- Quote from: Volkodav on May 15, 2016, 07:11:18 PM ---I could see a San Antonio being upgraded like this, medium calibre gun or even an AGS, perhaps a VLS and improved sensors, maybe a CEAFAR Mast.

--- End quote ---

ROCN feels inclined to arm their ships this way because it's unlikely they will be procuring any equivalent of the Arleigh Burke class DDG.  Equivalent of LCF is much more likely.

Featured word- inclined.  The recently commissioned AOE was to have a Mk.75 gun as well; and then the ship gets a Sea Chaparral launcher instead.

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: dy031101 on May 16, 2016, 01:13:15 AM ---and then the ship gets "value-engineered"

--- End quote ---

Is that the term officially used or your own description?  If the latter please chose a different description - Value Engineering is a quite legitimate, useful process and should not be confusingly misrepresented as a derogatory term.

jcf:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on November 14, 2013, 02:09:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: jcf on November 13, 2013, 05:39:13 AM ---Late 60s Bell concept, from JANE'S Surface Skimmer Systems 1967-68.

--- End quote ---

Not too far off form the LCAC's the USN is now looking to replace and retire.

--- End quote ---

3-view of the SK-10 that I thought I had posted, turns out I hadn't.  :-\

The Big Gimper:
When Greg and I went to the Niagara Aerospace Museum a year ago at the old Bell Plant in Niagara Falls, I took the following pictures with my iPhone.

EDIT (July 2017): Photos moved to Flickr and reposted.

IMG_1867 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_1868 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_1869 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_1870 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_1871 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_1873 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_1874 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version