Modelling > Aero-space

Bristol Beaufighter

<< < (2/31) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on February 04, 2012, 12:53:35 PM ---Possible Mk.22s
--- End quote ---

Both subjects are appealing and now I wonder what a Merlin, Packard, or Griffon powered Beaufighter might look like.

Maverick:
A Merlin powered Beaufighter would look like a Mk II or Mk IIF I suspect.

Regards,

John

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on February 04, 2012, 01:35:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on February 04, 2012, 12:53:35 PM ---Possible Mk.22s
--- End quote ---

Both subjects are appealing and now I wonder what a Merlin, Packard, or Griffon powered Beaufighter might look like.

--- End quote ---

There's photos in the Squadron book Beaufighter in Action, of Merlin and Griffon flying test beds. Also there's a couple of pics of the Australian R-2800 conversion which looks very nice as it had a much enhanced streamlined nacelles

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: kitnut617 on February 05, 2012, 12:08:08 AM ---There's photos in the Squadron book Beaufighter in Action, of Merlin and Griffon flying test beds. Also there's a couple of pics of the Australian R-2800 conversion which looks very nice as it had a much enhanced streamlined nacelles

--- End quote ---

I assume this is the one you are referring to:

They were actually Wright GR-2600 Cyclone engines.  The trial was done since there was a concern that there might be a shortage of supply of standard Bristol Hercules.

You are correct about the changed nacelles - you can compare the changed ones to the standard ones on the other aircraft in the same photos.

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617:
Those are the ones Greg, forgot that it was the R-2600 though.  I think the nacelle shape really enhances the Beaufighters looks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version