Modelling > Aero-space

F-104 Starfighter Ideas and Inspiration

(1/51) > >>

The Big Gimper:
F-104 with Lots of AIM-9s:

Folks:

I am thinking a whiffing a F-104 with 2-3 AIM-9s per wing tip. I would like to build a Multiple Ejector Rack (MER) but with launch rails. Any thoughts on what an official Missile MER would have looked like? One AIM-9 on top, middle and bottom like a T fallen on its side.

Carl

Maverick:
I guess it'd be similar to the twin AIM-9 setup I've seen on F-14s but with another rail in place of the pylon attachment point.  There's a sort of precedent to the T format with F-4s & Tonkas having AAMs over other ordnance in that config (albeit vertical).  About the only potential issue would be seperation, but the Jag had overwing pylons so it mustn't be that much of an issue.

Regards,

John

Jeremak:
Also you can use dual missle rails from MiG-23 ( http://airwar.ru/image/idop/fighter/mig23m/mig23m-8.jpg ), and put right on the left wing, and left on the right wing, so the "side" missles from photo would be on the "lower side" of the wing.

Jeffry Fontaine:
If you have enough ground clearance and space available on your wing station, you might be able to get away with an "H" pattern with a pair of missiles mounted on either side of the pylon and a fifth mounted directly to the pylon on the bottom.  Pretty much what you see on the F-15 and F-4 but with a dash of the F-8 Crusader thrown into the mix (remember the Zuni air to ground rockets on the Sidewinder mounts). 

The Big Gimper:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll peruse the stash over the holidays, do some dry-its to see what fits/looks the part.

Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version