Modelling > Naval GB

Ernst at the Schneider Cup

(1/3) > >>

Dr. YoKai:
 With prospects for design work being slim for a German engineer after the war, Ernst Heinkel decided to try for a bit of international recognition
 by attempting to enter the Schneider race in 1920. Naturally, there was precious little funding forthcoming from the State, but Heinkel managed to
 secure a badly damaged W. 29, and set to work with a small crew in an abandoned fish processing plant in Glückstadt on the Elbe. Using a
 modified Basse und Selve BuS IV, the wings were radically shortened, the Tail plane reduced in chord, and the float configuration altered to
 a taller, slimmer single in line float with two smaller outriggers.

More backstory when I get a little further along with the build.

This is a project i have had in mind for a few years now - a racer version of the Hansa-Brandenberg W. 29. When I was getting into
 WW 1 models around the time of the Centennial, I would up with three kits of the aircraft from three different manufacturers. I had had
 the very rough Meikraft kit for ages, and added a Pegasus and Toko to the stash. The first and last became landplanes, and I forgot about
 the Pegasus kit until I was looking for something else and stumbled across the remains of it in the stash. The conversion will involve
 a bit more reshaping the fuselage to turn it into a single seater, but I managed to get a float into the shape I wanted with a minimum of effort.
 Should come together over the next couple of days.
 DSCF0568 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

There are probably easier ways to build a thinner float, but this worked...
 DSCF0572 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Dr. YoKai:
 Couple of days ago - I have been sidetracked adding a small loft to the workshed.
DSCF0578 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

In between, I finished the wing floats and struts, but need to rig the posts before I attach them. Thinking about an overall
yellow, or yellow/something scheme. No national insignia - not sure about codes.

DSCF0576 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

I wanted to use as many Heinkel spares as I could, and originally the wing struts were from a Hasegawa He 51, but they proved too short, so
I went with struts from an Airfix Ford trimotor. The prop was cut down from a Revell He 219.

DSCF0577 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

ericr:

lovely floatplane

:smiley:

robunos:
Looking good . . . regarding markings, at the least, a Race Number, either black or white, judging by the images I've looked at, to contrast with your chosen colour scheme, and maybe black/white/red rudder stripes.

cheers,
Robin.

Dr. YoKai:
 Thanks for the replies. A little more looking showed me that most of the Racers sported only a racing number, and sometimes a small national insignia, so I think that's covered. May try and paint today - she's ready enough with the wing floats and rigging done.
DSCF0581 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

DSCF0584 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version