Modelling > Naval GB

The Science Pirates: Early operations

<< < (2/7) > >>

apophenia:
Looking good so far ... but loving your backstory!  :-*

Dr. YoKai:
(Edited the initial post to add the footnotes. A bit more back story. Now, on with the show!)

After actually looking at the drawings in Tony Gibbon's Battleships, I realized that the length was about right, but the beam
was about a third too great. Some figuring and a straight edge allowed me to shave off the sides to a more acceptable (and frankly more
elegant) profile, while it also showed me that I was building it at right about 1/350 scale (The original had a length OA of 320 feet and the build
at 11 inches worked out to 1/349...anyhoo.) I also lowered the height of the main deck, fabricated the upper deck, and started plating the sides.
And somewhere, while waiting for things to dry, I started a torpedo boat, the O Solo Mio.
DSCF0552 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
 The original armament had tumbled all over the insides of the turrets, and as no one in the SPS had been particularly impressed by
the RN's muzzle loaders, it was decided to replace the weapons with something a bit more effective. Forward, the gun ports were cut
away to a single slot for a four-barreled 10 cm repeater designed by R.E Kylwell of Kylwell und Offenn (based on Gardner patents) which
fired the remarkable deformable dynamite round designed by Kylwell's wife and partner, the brilliant chemist Red Mischief Sue. The
effect of these 'squish-boom bombs' on the armor of the time was nothing less than horrific. The after turret used a pair of Ancient Atlantean weapons, a 'fire lance' and an 'audio pulse amplifier'. The former projected a thin beam or 'spear' of super-heated plasma, contained by
a powerful magnetic field, with a range/terminus of around half a kilometer. The APA projected pulsed soundwaves that at first simply bounced
off the target, to be analyzed by an Atlantean Difference Engine, which would then modify the pulse to the vibrational frequency of the
target, and "Shake them up a bit", as Aunt Sekrit was wont to say.

Below is the first version of the K&O mechanical cannon, which has since been replaced by a small scratchbuild that looks a lot better.
DSCF0559 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
And the rear turret.
DSCF0561 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
From here, it's mainly refinement and detailing - I started scribing the upper deck yesterday, and that will take a day or two... :icon_crap:

Buzzbomb:
OH !!! This is even better.

That is it. Time to finish out the MTB and get the Chen Yuen Ironclad happening. Doc, you are a genius

finsrin:
OOOOH !     Most interesting, keep going....

arkon:
👍this is so cool!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version