Author Topic: Red Arrows Hawk  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Red Arrows Hawk
« on: September 15, 2022, 11:58:30 PM »
Well somebody was bound to to it so I volunteer  ;D

The Red Arrows have been at most (if not all) of the late  Queens landmark celebrations so it really should be represented here.

Here's the starting point

I have some decals on order as well so it might not be a straight out of the box build.

More when it happens........

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Red Arrows Hawk
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 12:35:41 AM »
Looks like a great plan!

Online robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 04:22:41 AM »
A linky that you may find useful . . .   ;)

https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=2648

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Robomog

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 08:01:20 AM »
Thanks for that  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:35:12 AM »
Hi all.

And so it begins ........

Been doing the pre painting and tidying of parts tho not a lot of that needed.

The fuselage has been assembled but needed a bit of brute force and ignorance to hold it all together. Eric the Cat was not impressed with the clamps pinging off  :D

Here's the story so for.........

Thanks again to Robunos for that link I am sorely tempted to do a Yellow Jack's Gnat but do not have one in the stash (quelle horrour!)

More when it happens.........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Online robunos

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 04:46:02 AM »
Looking good so far, though from what I remember, that kit should be better fitting than that . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 09:00:34 AM »
It looks worse than it is, most of it aligns  reasoably well except around the nose  ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 09:54:10 AM »
Hi all more progress

The wing fit is not too bad only needed some Polystyrene filler on the finer cracks, the intakes were a very poor fit and needed sanding and filing to smooth it into the body plus some Polystyrene filler to tone down the joint.

Here's where its at now......

An annoying part of the design is that you have to install the nose wheel quite early in the construction. It's amazing that it hasn't been knocked off by now.

There is still some sanding required on the smoke tank. Then check the canopy fit before masking the cockpit and nose wheel ready for painting.

Mrs Lady Mog bought me a mid range air brush and compressor for my birthday so I am keen to try it out.

Thanks for looking.........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 05:37:13 AM »
Hi all

The Hawk is ready for the paint shop now, just have to set aside a " spray day" to get the primer coat on

The Decals have arrived......

I will be doing this one

More when it happens

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 08:33:25 AM »
Hi all

The hawk has had its first pass through the paintshop  using my  new airbrush and compressor and its quite a different technique to using rattle cans so a steepish learning curve.

For a start the air pressure is much  greater and the amount of  paint  dispensed  less  plus  mixing the paint and cleanig up afterwards its a lot more hastle,  no doubt i will find my level.

As an aside and a total coincidence i uncovered a half built BLOX  Red Fighter  kit ( a sort of poor mans Lego) which i took time out to complete.

Results were good .........

Thanks for looking.....

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 10:09:22 AM »
'Mog, the pressure from your compressor should be adjustable, I run mine fairly low (at about 15psi) for general use & even lower (down to 5psi) for very fine work.

I find a full clean of the airbrush is not as necessary as many say, mine gets a good wipe out & flushing with thinners.

First, empty out the excess paint, tip some thinners in, give it a good scrub with an old paint brush, pour out the now filthy thinners & wipe out the cup with a soft rag or paper towel. I, then, use the paint brush (wiped on some paper towel to remove the residue of the previous effort) to clean the needle (through the cup, with some thinners, repeatedly pulling & releasing the trigger) & a cotton bud/Q-tip to clean the nozzle (for that I part-fill the cup with thinners, start running the thinners through the system, wet the cotton bud with the thinners & wipe around the inside of the nozzle shield), it bubbles back into the cup & I find it better to tip the last of the thinners out to stop some of the crap that usually comes back going through the airbrush again, then giving the cup a good wipe out & spraying a squirt of IPA into the cup & running the airbrush empty.

I usually strip it down & clean, polish & oil it about once every 6-to-12 months, depending on usage.

Paint thinning is a personal thing & every paint brand is different but, once you know what paints you prefer & what thinning ratio works for you, they tend to be very consistent.

Anyway, there are a lot of very good videos out on the interwebs by people better than me that I suggest you have a look at some, & pick & choose what works for you.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 05:04:20 PM »
Thanks OW I'll try that, especially the pressure, it was blowing the Hawk off of its spray rig!

I forgot to reapply the primer to bits I'd  sanded down so I've got some unwanted pre shading I need to spray out.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 09:28:23 AM »
Hi all

Well the next airbrushing session did not go to plan, I'm obviously doing something fundamentally wrong and need to step back and experiment/train.

The finish is OK but there were a couple of runs I had to sand/buff out.

I'm onto the decals now but these are fighting me as well.  Firstly one of the nose flashes dried out of position and bent, probably my fault, I didn't check it when it went into the drawer to set.  I now have another Hawk on order to scavenge the decals.

Secondly the decals on the underside are a complete nightmare. Whoever designed the decals had thoughtfully allowed for the wheel  doors but completely neglected the prominent hinge/ actuator  covers on the trailing edge making the base of the arrow impossible to lay.

I had to cut the first one in situ which turned out messy and the one I tried to pre cut is even worse as you can see from the photo. Hopefully I will be able to patch it with some white paint. If not have a second attempt with the new decals.

Thanks for looking.....

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2022, 08:25:29 AM »
I've had the same problem on a different kit ... need to "test" fit decals as well as plastic parts before assembly now :icon_twisted:

Online robunos

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 05:50:47 AM »
You seem to be winning, nonetheless, so keep at it . . .   :D

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »
Thanks guys.

After the above rant i remembered that the actuator covers were seperate parts and i installed them because they would be the same colour as the wing.

If i had left them off i would have had no problems with the underside decals aaaaagh!.

In my defence the instructions give you no warning of this  and tell you to install them ahead of the decals, that'll teach me to follow orders.

More soon.......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Online robunos

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2022, 12:32:43 AM »

If i had left them off i would have had no problems with the underside decals aaaaagh!.

And then what happens is that you leave off the flap horns, paint the wing and add the decals, THEN add the flap horns, mask up and paint them, and then removing the masking damages the decals anyway . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 06:56:44 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

I am not alone !!!!

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »
Well after a few challenging moments and some lessons learned, mostly do not try new techniques on time limited projects, I can happily announce that the Hawk is completed.

Here's the pics .......

And a couple of scale shots .......

As always all comments and criticisms gratefully accepted

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2022, 01:24:51 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online robunos

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 05:56:48 AM »
Oh, that's come out very well indeed, after all your tribulations . . .   :smiley:

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2022, 02:23:16 PM »
Oh, that's come out very well indeed, after all your tribulations . . .   :smiley:

Absolutely! :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks guys. For a simple out of the box build and aftermarket transfer adaption it was quite fraught, mostly my own fault of course  ::),  but it has turned out well.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 05:57:07 AM »
... but it has turned out well.

It has indeed! Well done 'Mog  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."