Modelling > Sea

PT Boats - Elco, Vosper, Schnellboot etc...

(1/5) > >>

LemonJello:
So between planning my retirement and searching for a new job, I was just making a list of "someday" projects that I'd like to build and I hit upon creating an updated PT boat/littorals/special warfare support ship. My basic idea comes down to two flavors: a gun version and a missile one.

For the gun version, I was looking at starting with the PT-596 kit from Italeri - I replace the twin .50s with M134 mini-guns and update the deck guns with Bushmasters/Chain guns and add in one or two Mk19/AGL-47 grenade launchers and probable a pair of 7.62 machine guns in the M-240 family - all with updated optics and gun shields for max protection of the gunners.  This would be the specops support version providing close-in shore support with direct fires or to cover extraction of personnel.

The missile armed boat would start with the PT-109, also from Italeri - the torpedo tubes could be repurposed and relocated aft into a pair of dual ASM launchers (Harpoon, Tomahawk, etc) the foredeck would have an enclosed turret armed with either a single 30mm Bushmaster, a pair of said 30mms or perhaps even a GAU-8? Another option would be a single 105mm cannon or similar in the forward turret.  Updated sensors/comms/datalinks to allow for carriage of Hellfire/Brimstone or similar that could be targeted by drone/helos?  Probably add a M134 in place of one set of .50s and a single .50 in the other station for close defense.  Primary mission of this version would be inter-island interdiction of pirates/smugglers or in swarming attacks against lone warships/transports/auxiliaries.

The Vosper and Schnellboot kits would offer similar starting points as well.

elmayerle:
Instead of a 30mm Bushmaster, use an Oerlikon 30mm KCA cannon (as used by the JaktViggen) since it uses the same ammo as the GAU-8.

ChernayaAkula:
Instead of the 105mm, how about an AMOS twin 120mm mortar turret?
The crazy Swedes put one on a CB90!

--- Quote from: elmayerle on June 23, 2013, 11:14:14 AM ---Instead of a 30mm Bushmaster, use an Oerlikon 30mm KCA cannon (as used by the JaktViggen) since it uses the same ammo as the GAU-8.

--- End quote ---

The 30mm Bushmaster II is also chambered for the same 30x173mm round the GAU-8 and Oerlikon KCA use.

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: ChernayaAkula on June 23, 2013, 02:24:08 PM ---The 30mm Bushmaster II is also chambered for the same 30x173mm round the GAU-8 and Oerlikon KCA use.

--- End quote ---

Ah, didn't know that, but it does make sense.

Daryl J.:
Feel free to build this idea:  S-boot hull as a "carrier" for Porco Rosso's Savoia.   Angled up catapult, aircraft approx 2/3 of the way back, crane to lift the aircraft aboard after landing.   Yup...the S-boot and S.21 kits reside inside Ye Olde Stash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version