Author Topic: Kokoda Trail 1/700 3d printed models  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Kokoda Trail 1/700 3d printed models
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
Might be of some interest to ship modellers here - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Frenobulax

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Kokoda Trail 1/700 3d printed models
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
That's insane! :o

Talk about microscopic! :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:03:44 AM »
Thanks Brian - very useful indeed! 
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:16:09 AM »
There are a number of other contributors to Shapeways that have interesting items for sale.  Some of the prices are a bit frightening while others appear to be a very good deal.  In contact with one of the guys right now to see about having him print up his product in 1:35th scale (he offers it in 1:48th, 1:96th, and 1:24th but not 1:32nd or 1:35th)  Hopefully the price will not be too extreme.  I had been looking for some 1:144th scale twin 40mm Bofors to use on one of my 1:144th scale Fast Attack Craft but have no desire to use the White Ensign metal products as I do not like the product or the price charged.  A 3D printed model seems to be a better deal with much better detail and less clean-up.  So instead of a couple of twin 40mm Bofors I found a nice Mk38 25mm Machine Gun System (M242 Bushmaster on a Naval gun mount) for a decent price in 1:72nd scale.  Apparently the limitations of Shapeways will not allow a decent 1:144th scale 25mm Bushmaster to be printed up but it was worth the time to ask the question and get a very prompt reply.  This same contributor also offers the Mk38 Mod 2 25mm Machine Gun System remote operated weapon with the little FLIR head mounted on it.  Would love to have a couple of those in 1:144th scale but the detail limits might preclude that from happening in that scale but it is available in other larger scales :) 

Wikipedia - M242 Bushmaster
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg