Author Topic: Bandai's 1/144 Rogue 1 U-Wing (Out of Box) + ideas  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Faust

• The man from the Sprue Lagoon...a natural here!
    • The Sprue Lagoon
Bandai's 1/144 Rogue 1 U-Wing (Out of Box) + ideas
« on: July 19, 2018, 05:08:54 AM »
When it comes to Sci-Fi, I’m more of an anime guy than anything else. I grew up watching Astroboy, Battle of the Planets and Robotech. There’s always been something about the realness and completeness of Japanese designs and the universes they inhabit that inspire me to build plastic models of them.

However, I am also interested in Star Wars, and have become more so in the last decade than I was before. Thankfully, during this time, the number of quality kits from the Star Wars franchise has grown, and the old MPC offerings have been truly put out to pasture. Most recently, Bandai has begun to market very nice, gorgeously moulded kits of some of the designs from both the classic and newer movies. These take the Star Wars modelling experience to the next level, and I felt I should at least try one to see what they were like.

Of course, I chose a rather odd example: the 1/144 U-Wing/Tie Striker set! Despite being small and simple to build, this multi-kit set is a pretty nice piece of work.  Check it out below!

Now, I'm no good with photoshop, but I was thinking of the following:

Trainer version of the Striker
"Nam"-type U-wing
Maritime Patrol U-Wing
Drone Tie Striker
Use the two "tanks" as either adverse terrain hovercraft supports for a Gundam
Load either of the planes with conventional weapons and use them for 'bushfire' wars

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/bandai-1-144-u-wing-and-tie-striker-out-of-box/

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Bandai's 1/144 Rogue 1 U-Wing (Out of Box) + ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
I wish that kit was in 1/48
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Faust

• The man from the Sprue Lagoon...a natural here!
    • The Sprue Lagoon
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 06:52:43 AM »
Wow, the wingspan on a 1/48 U-wing would be prohibitively large, I'd think. Still, it would be awesome to super-detail, I can agree!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:24:44 AM »
Size is not an issue to the man who has a 1/72 Hughes Hercules (Spruce Goose) kit...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.