Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

3D Printing Tips and Techniques

<< < (8/11) > >>

LemonJello:
Test print was successful. I washed them in Isopropyl alcohol and will have to let them cure in the sun tomorrow. (I won't know if I got the wash/cure station until New Years). 

My son got me three bottles of Elegoo's resin; clear red, clear green, and grey.

Frank3k:
Counterintuitively, black resin will produce the best details, clear resins will be slightly fuzzier because the UV will spread further in clear resins than dark. Gray is a good compromise and parts come out looking primed. You'll want to do an exposure print (UVTools has one) for each of the resins, because one exposure definitely doesn't fit all.

arkon:
are stl files specific to resin or extruder  3d machines?

LemonJello:
The Mercury Wash & Cure station has arrived.  Haven't had a chance to play with my new toys with family here over the New Year's holiday, and dealing with 15 inches of snow dropped on us yesterday.  Lost power for most of the day, restored around 7pm local time.

Weather has us socked in right now, lots of downed trees and unplowed roads, so maybe today I'll get to play?

Frank3k:

--- Quote from: arkon on December 29, 2021, 08:37:10 AM ---are stl files specific to resin or extruder  3d machines?

--- End quote ---

STL is just a file format that's commonly used with 3D printers. It defines the 3D geometry of an object. To make the object printable, you have to process the file in a slicer that knows about the printer you're going to use (resin or FDM). The slicer cuts the object into layers for the printer, adds supports, etc. and generates a file that the printer understands. Most FDM printers understand a language called G-Code, which is common to CNC machines and just tells the print head where to move, plus the thickness of each slice.

Most hobbyist resin printers are different - the slicer just generates images that are slices of the object (and added supports) from the STL, with each slice separated by a layer thickness - much like an MRI or CT scan. This is one reason they're often faster than FDM printers; each layer is printed in one go. The resin printers also use G-Code to move the build plate and for setting parameters.

Another type of resin printer uses a UV laser that shines on a mirror and the mirror is moved in XY very quickly by galvos; these are closer to FDM printers in that the slices describe the motion of the laser spot. They're still very fast, since the mirror is much lighter than the printhead on an FDM printer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version