Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Best way to make tank barrels?

(1/4) > >>

Feldmarschall Zod:
I wish to attempt to make a Soviet 100mm barrel in 1/48. I have no access to a lathe. What is the best material for making a barrel from scratch? I have a Jordi Rubio 100mm barrel in 1/35. I can trace the outline of the barrel on paper,and use scale rulers to get the measurment.

The taper part of the barrel may be the hardest part for me. This 100mm gun,I am adding to an IS-2 Stalin tank. That was armed with a 122mm. The tapered portion of the 122mm barrel ,I may be able to use that,then add either a plastic or metal piece of tube for the 100mm portion.

Any ideas on how to cut off the 122 barrel portion off the tapered part exactly straight?

Jeffry Fontaine:
Chad,

Think outside of the box.  What barrel in another scale would best represent the 100mm barrel in 1/48th scale?  Take a look at something in 35th scale that is 76mm/75mm and it just might work.  Depending on the length the longer barrel can be reduced in size to fit your project. 

I am experiencing a similar problem trying to find a barrel in 1/72nd scale to stand in for a 35mm barrel in 1/35th scale so I am looking at 17pdr barrels in 1/72nd scale as a possible source. 

Feldmarschall Zod:

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 02, 2012, 10:35:29 PM ---Chad,

Think outside of the box.  What barrel in another scale would best represent the 100mm barrel in 1/48th scale?  Take a look at something in 35th scale that is 76mm/75mm and it just might work.  Depending on the length the longer barrel can be reduced in size to fit your project. 

I am experiencing a similar problem trying to find a barrel in 1/72nd scale to stand in for a 35mm barrel in 1/35th scale so I am looking at 17pdr barrels in 1/72nd scale as a possible source.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip Jeffry.  I do have some 76mm barrels in 1/35,maybe an 85mm barrel. They may do the trick. ;)

deathjester:
Mould them in white metal?  Then you'll have a supply of them for ever and !always

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 02, 2012, 10:35:29 PM ---I am experiencing a similar problem trying to find a barrel in 1/72nd scale to stand in for a 35mm barrel in 1/35th scale so I am looking at 17pdr barrels in 1/72nd scale as a possible source.

--- End quote ---

On Hannants' website there's an outfit called Jordi Rubio who makes all sorts of metal military vehicle gun barrels, there's quite a few barrels in the 35mm range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version