Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Tinted Canopies

(1/2) > >>

GTX_Admin:
Hi folks,

One aspect that often causes grief for modern modellers is trying to replicated the gold/other tinting on modern combat aircraft canopies (see examples below).  What techniques do you use?  What works? What doesn't?

Litvyak:
Very apropos as I consider what to do for my CEF-108 build. I've been thinking just to use a thinned clear yellow to paint it...

Spey Phantom:
tried it once with Revell clear orange, was a disaster, could try thinning it and add multiple coats, but the problem is that the canopy might lost its transparancy, however, the recent revell F-16 releases (exs. the tigermeet 2009 F-16) comes with a pre-tinted canopy.

Wulf:
ive heard of a few drops of yellow food colouring in kleer/future.....never tried it tho

Frank3k:
I've tried gold Rub N' Buff and it worked fairly well. The first application will be opaque; I then rubbed off most of the material until it was transparent (with a slight gold tint). Further applications made it darker. One advantage of using Rub N' Buff is that the canopy gets polished in the process. Just make sure it's well supported internally while polishing, or it may develop stress fractures.

I've also used Tamiya clear yellow and it works just as well (straight or mixed with Future).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version