Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905063 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #2825 on: November 05, 2021, 04:38:51 AM »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2826 on: November 12, 2021, 07:23:17 AM »
Latest installment in the Re: CC-188 Polaris Strategic Transport Aircraft story:
-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10044.msg190739#msg190739
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2827 on: November 12, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »
In the New Model Kit News/Reviews section, Greg posted art for the new Mikro-Mir 1/144th Myasishchev 3MD box top. ChernayaAkula then mentioned SAC but, for some reason, I saw RAF V-Bomber ...

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=5097.msg190582#new

So, here is the sole V-class Boulton Paul Birmingham B.I prototype in flight, The Birmingham is overflying Osea Island in Essex while demonstrating a simulated low-level attack profile.

The Birmingham prototype sprang from Boulton Paul's 'Project Wulfrun' for a jet-powered strategic bomber powered by four Armstrong Siddeley ASSa.2 Sapphire turbojets. Boulton Paul chief designer JD North envisioned his concept satisfying both V-Bomber and long-range reconnaissance requirements.

As built, the Birmingham B.I prototype was fitted with much more powerful ASSa.7 Sapphires. The Birmingham was a 'back-up to a back-up' - the more conservative Short Sperrin. The BP design was never ordered as an operational V-Bomber unlike the Avro Vulcan, Handley Page Victor, and Vickers Valiant. A serious engine-fire in the Birmingham's No.3 ASSa.7 permanently grounded the prototype at RAF Honington, Suffolk. Never used as a bomber, the prototype Birmingham B.I served as an instructional airframe for many years at Honington.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2828 on: November 12, 2021, 11:09:11 PM »
It has a bit of a Sperrin look to it, doesn't it ----

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2829 on: November 13, 2021, 01:46:06 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2830 on: November 13, 2021, 04:59:01 AM »
It has a bit of a Sperrin look to it, doesn't it ----

I think that's mainly because I've stuck the V-Bombers' H2S Mk. IX and AN/APN/170 radomes onto the nose of the Myasishchev. The original Soviet radomes were too svelte-looking (and where I've shown the forward-looking antenna is actually an inflight refuelling probe on the 3MD).

To my eye, the whif Birmingham is more like 'what if a B-47 had been designed in Britain?'. I guess that's mainly the swept wings and tail. But, the 3MD was quite a bit bigger than the Sperrin. Still, that engine installation reminds me of the other V-Bombers.

That said, I did cheat with the engines. Probably the PS.23 Gyron or B.E.10 Olympus would've been more realistic ...

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2831 on: November 15, 2021, 04:24:56 AM »

To my eye, the whif Birmingham is more like 'what if a B-47 had been designed in Britain?'

It was a great try, unfortunately by the time development and testing was done and it finally entered
service in 1971 it was extremely obsolete.

;) :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2832 on: November 15, 2021, 11:14:37 AM »
It was a great try, unfortunately by the time development and testing was done and it finally entered service in 1971 it was extremely obsolete.

;D ;D

Recently, ysi_maniac had a go at the WWI Saint-Chamond. Here's my go at it ...

In 1915, the Compagnie des forges et aciéries de la marine et d'Homécourt (FAMH) at Saint-Chamond, Loire, was invited to design an armoured fighting vehicle for use by the French Army. At the insistence of général Léon Mourret, the new vehicle was to be armed with a 75 mm field gun. This feature alone dictated a rather larger vehicle than the rival Schneider CA1 designed by Eugène Brillié. The Saint-Chamond design would also be distinct because Brillié, refused the free use of his patents. As a result, Saint-Chamond had to come up with substitutes for the Brillié skid 'tail' and other patented features.

In the initial draught of the Saint-Chamond armoured vehicle, FAMH design chief colonel Émile Rimailho chose his Canon de 75 modèle 1915 Saint-Chamond - the so-called Saint Chamond-Mondragón. This piece fired the same fixed 75x350 mm R ammunition as the 75mm Mle 1897 (also designed by col. Rimailho). However, the Mle 1915 had a shorter barrel and was correspondingly lighter. Unfortunately, like all French field guns, the entire carriage was required for traverse. This made the 1915 Saint-Chamond concept a lengthy vehicle with substantial overhangs fore and aft. The drivetrain consisted of a 90 hp Panhard et Levassor 4-cylinder engine with final drive via a Crochat-Colardeau electric transmission. A crew of eight was to be carried. This initial design was rejected by gén. Mourret.

1916 Saint-Chamond char d'assaut - the CA2

Other than in retaining a general arrangement and engine type, the 1916 Saint-Chamond vehicle design had little in common with its predecessor. The track layout was effectively reversed - with the drive wheels at the front. The electric drive was replaced by a conventional Panhard gearbox - set directly below the main gun mounting beam. That gun was revised as the Mle 1916 intended specifically for vehicle use. The original L/28.5 barrel was replaced by a new 2.58 m 'tube' - the same L/36 length as the preferred Mle 1895. The piece sat in an entirely new mount saddle and pivot - obviating the need to retain the entire trail. As a result, overall vehicle length could be reduced while traverse was made easier and quicker.

Reducing the overall length, also made for a smaller fighting compartment. The crew was reduced to five - the commander/driver, gunner, loader, and two machine gunners/mechanics. This design was accepted for production as the Saint-Chamond char d'assaut. From the outset, it was clear that the new Saint-Chamond char d'assaut outclassed the earlier Schneider CA1. The Saint-Chamond vehicle was also more heavily armed than contemporary British tanks. However, the longer British Tank, Mark I proved superior at trench-crossing. As a work-round, some Saint-Chamonds were fitted with 'tails' similar to those of British tanks. On Saint-Chamonds, these 'cordier' took the form of a non-steering twin-wheeled carriage with a set degree of pivot. Intended to allow the 20 tonne vehicle to cross trenches, 'le cordier' were more likely to fail under the strain. Most tailpieces were removed by the end of 1917.

1917 Saint-Chamond char d'assaut - the CA2b

Many of the failings of the modèle 1916 Saint-Chamond CA2 were addressed in a major redesign - the modèle 1917 CA2b. This vehicle had a revised (and enclosed) suspension as well as broader track pads. The upper hull was simplified with protection increased to a maximum of 26 mm of armour plate - this was mainly to stop German 'reversed bullets' (while anticipated German armour-piercing 'K bullets'). The forward plate was given an increased slope which also helped to deflect bullets and shell splinters. Main armament remained the same 75 mm Saint-Chamond TR (Tir Rapide) Mle 1916 but the machine gun armament was reduced. [1] The forward-firing remote Hotchkiss was retained but the twin rear guns were replaced by a single 8 mm in a simplified mouting. As a result, the crew could be reduced to four - although a dedicated mechanic was often carried.

To improve trench-crossing the inadequate 'cordier' was replaced by un tambour. This revolving drum served to extend the vehicle's length of ground contact. The angle of le tambour could be adjusted prior to missions to best suit anticipated surface conditions. In most aspects, the Mle 1916 CA2b was an improvement over the Mle 1915 Saint-Chamond. A questionable change was the supression of the driver's vision port into the hull proper. Removing this excrescence reduced vulnerability to shellfire but also greatly reduced the driver's field of vision. As a char d'assaut, the Saint-Chamond CA2b was regarded as a success - especially as a late-war counter-battery weapon. However, with the end of "La Grande Guerre, the French Army quickly disposed of its Saint-Chamond tanks.

[1] It was assumed that each Saint-Chamond char d'assaut CA2b would be accompanied by Renault FT light tanks with machine gun-armed turrets.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2833 on: November 15, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #2834 on: November 15, 2021, 03:07:36 PM »
 :smiley: I like your St Chamond  :icon_alabanza:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2835 on: November 15, 2021, 10:19:52 PM »
If it had a bulldozer blade at the front it would be an ideal combat engineer vehicle.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2836 on: November 16, 2021, 02:03:04 AM »
Screams APC variant to me...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2837 on: November 19, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
Thanks folks!  :D

If it had a bulldozer blade at the front it would be an ideal combat engineer vehicle.  :smiley:

Ooo, a CEV ... or, rather, un véhicule du génie de combat for the 1919 offensive. I like it  :smiley:

It seems that the bulldozer wasn't invented until 1923 (by LaPlant-Choate in the US) so I've made mine a fascine-carrier (transporteur blindés de fascines) instead.

This 'TBF' is rigged for transport. For deployment of fascines, chain tethers would be rearranged to drag and drop each fascine either fore or aft. The original scheme to deploy one large fascine and two small 'fillers' was abandoned when the Germans began digging wider trenches.

Screams APC variant to me...

I like that one too! Here, I've extended the Mle 1917 track system and Brillié has finally been compelled to allow use of his rear skid patent. The latter makes a handy platform for dismounting troops egressing through the  rear doors.

And there's the next installment in the CC-188 Polaris Strategic Transport Aircraft story:

-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10044.msg190901#msg190901

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2838 on: November 19, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
I've always found it hilarious that engineers are often called "génie" in French (and in some other languages, as well)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2839 on: November 21, 2021, 06:08:56 AM »
Next installment in the CC-188 Polaris Strategic Transport Aircraft[/b] story ...

Northern Patrol - Canadair's NorPat/Maritime Patrol DC-8
-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10044.msg191066#msg191066

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #2840 on: November 21, 2021, 05:53:22 PM »
I quite like those!

The nose of the DC-8 looks like it could be rigged out for EW tasks as well.

Maybe some special version for 414 Squadron to play with. ;)
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2841 on: November 21, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »
I quite like those!

The nose of the DC-8 looks like it could be rigged out for EW tasks as well.

Maybe some special version for 414 Squadron to play with. ;)

Seconded !

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2842 on: November 22, 2021, 06:55:31 AM »
The St Chamond Engineering Tank got me thinking about using a Matilda hull, with a similar boxy superstructure.

The base vehicle was reliable enough, weight might be a problem though and it is somewhat narrow

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2843 on: November 23, 2021, 07:17:34 AM »
Thanks folks!

I like the EW idea. The next installment reveals the updated CP-140M Arcturus patrol aircraft. Part of that update involved the replacing of the 'recycled' CP-107 sensors and avionics with CP-143 Orion kit.

For reasons of economy, the ASV 21 nose radome was retained on the CP-188M despite Raytheon's AN/APS-137 antenna being quite a bit smaller. So, plenty of room in that schnozz for EW emitters. In fact, this was a big airplane, plenty of room everywhere for EW kit

The final installment in the CC-188 Polaris Strategic Transport Aircraft story:
-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10044.msg191139#msg191139

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2844 on: November 23, 2021, 07:19:03 AM »
The St Chamond Engineering Tank got me thinking about using a Matilda hull, with a similar boxy superstructure.

The base vehicle was reliable enough, weight might be a problem though and it is somewhat narrow

I like the idea of a Matilda CEV. As you say, weight could be an issue but I'm not sure that the narrow hull would be a big problem for most combat engineering applications.

The Australian Matilda Dozer provides a model (if you want to fit a blade). Apparently, there were 18 RW Matilda Dozer - 12 with cable-operated blades and six with hydraulic cylinders.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #2845 on: November 23, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »
Thanks folks!

I like the EW idea. The next installment reveals the updated CP-140M Arcturus patrol aircraft. Part of that update involved the replacing of the 'recycled' CP-107 sensors and avionics with CP-143 Orion kit.

For reasons of economy, the ASV 21 nose radome was retained on the CP-188M despite Raytheon's AN/APS-137 antenna being quite a bit smaller. So, plenty of room in that schnozz for EW emitters. In fact, this was a big airplane, plenty of room everywhere for EW kit

The final installment in the CC-188 Polaris Strategic Transport Aircraft story:
-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10044.msg191139#msg191139

Hmm! interesting !  This will be a CE-150 (T) when it's finished  (erm! forget the date on the pic, the camera had switched the settings somehow. It was taken about a year ago)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:48:41 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2846 on: November 25, 2021, 06:28:27 AM »
Hmm! interesting !  This will be a CE-150 (T) when it's finished  ...

Very cool Robert! That front radome seems to fit your Polaris' nose profile very well  :smiley:

And 'interesting' indeed ... because, oddly, I was just working on a FASS application as a tack-on to my Canadair DC-8 story!

-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10044.msg191216#msg191216

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2847 on: November 25, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »
That DC-8 AEW looks very cool too --- you can buy a 1/72 DC-8 too --- hmm!

The aircraft I'm building a model of is a BAe 844, this concept appeared in various aviation magazines around 1984 in a Marconi advert, I have a copy of the 1984 RAF Year Book which if anyone is interested, has a big article on the Nimrod AEW plus an excellent cutaway drawing in it. The front cover has the Nimrod AEW on it too.

Middle pic is where I cut out the BAe 844 so I could scale it to match a 1/72 3-View I have of an Airbus A310 in an AutoCad drawing. I'm also going to build one of the Canadair Challengers I have with some FASS domes, as you can see in the advert.

The domes are one of Harro's (Hobbes on the forums) creations which you can buy off Shapeways, he calls himself Acme Engineering there.
I have the Cammett Nimrod FASS AEW conversion set too, for one of the Airfix Nimrod kits I have.

The BAe 844 you see in the advert is a bit out of scale with the other concepts I think, the A310 is a bit bigger than an A400M, you can see a comparison in the bottom photo
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 11:12:23 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2848 on: November 25, 2021, 11:36:39 PM »
I've always like the alternative option of the DC-8 as a basis for an AWACS (like the E-3 Sentry) because I've always thought the DC-8 looked sleeker than the 707. It looks especially good with the CFM56. Great profile!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2849 on: November 26, 2021, 10:56:48 AM »
...The aircraft I'm building a model of is a BAe 844, this concept appeared in various aviation magazines around 1984 in a Marconi advert...

And, of course, Revell does the C-160 Transall in 1/72nd as well  :smiley:

Actually, you could do the entire brochure in 1/72 - although that would mean a hen's teeth Aeroclub C-23A Sherpa for the Shorts 330  :o

I've always like the alternative option of the DC-8 as a basis for an AWACS (like the E-3 Sentry) because I've always thought the DC-8 looked sleeker than the 707. It looks especially good with the CFM56. Great profile!

Thanks Logan! I grew up on the DC-8s (so bias duly acknowledged) but I'm with you on their sleeker looks. I always thought that the DC-8 also had an honest, 'doggy' nose - not a turned up Boeing snout! And I couldn't resist the CFM56s on a short-bodied DC-8  :D