Current and Finished Projects > Scifi and Fantasy

Ian McQue style diorama

(1/4) > >>

Kerick:
I'm starting a new thread for the Ian McQue project I've been working on for a while now. It seems its been so long without an update folks have forgotten what it was all about. So I'm collecting previously posted stuff in one place to make it a bit more organized.

I started with a tower made from a tank from a 1/24th scale truck trailer and some CD discs. Then I built a construction style monster generator set from a shelter from a 1/35th scale US Army truck.

Here's the pics I promised.

Kerick:
A little progress.

Here's the generator, the tower and the base of the jib crane on top. The tower is made from the tank from a 1/24th scale tanker truck trailer I've had laying around for 40 years or so. The platforms are CD discs.

The top platform I rebuilt using sheet plastic and Evergreen I beams. The device on top is a polystyrene shot glass sanded to sit at an angle so that one side is vertical and will get a door added to it soon. Waiting for a package from Hobbylinc with open web truss beams to make the jibs from. The package from Micro Mark is waiting at the post office if I can get the rest of the family out of the house I can pick that up. Waiting for the sun to come out so I can UV cast some extra parts.

Kerick:
Construction crane is nearly done. Added doors to two levels of the tower.

Paint soon and then rust and dirt!

I made a Grumpy’s Gas and Grease sign by bringing in the image into power point, sizing it down, copying it several times on one page and printing it out on paper. I cut out one image and used Tamiya glue and glued it to the thinnest plastic I had. I then glued another to the opposite side and trimmed it down. Surprisingly the glue didn’t change the colors at all. So once I paint the boom I can add the sign.
Working on the tower now adding lots of details and greeblies. I bought a can of iron oxide primer for a base then I’ll try the salt method to have primer showing through the topcoat. Going to try adding conduit made from old sprues that have quarter round corners. That and different size sprues from different kits should give variety. I was thinking of painting them yellow for fuel, red for electrical and orange for communications to add some color just like the utility color codes. Might happen yet.

Kerick:
Built a forklift type device for the construction crane for lifting pallets. Pretty sure I’ve seen similar devices at construction sites but it’s been awhile. I need to take and load some pics. Weather is supposed to be warm tomorrow and Wednesday so maybe some painting.

Here's the pics as promised.

I painted the trolley and forklift with Testors yellow chromate primer. I don't know if its a good chromate color but it gives a nice "used" shade of yellow. I added several conduits made from sprue using the curved corners of the set without ordering bunches of curved Plastruct elbows.

Kerick:
My daughter suggested I use a figure she gave me for Christmas last year on this current project. Its the Hasbro Star Wars Mission Fleet figure of the Mandalorian and The Child. Not sure of the scale but bigger than 1/35th. The pilot figure is 1/48th.

I may have to reevaluate the scope and scale of this build!!!
The figures are pretty good but the speeder bike looks like something made from Legos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version