Current and Finished Projects > Other

Splinter and Pastor - Masterbox 1/35 post-apocalyptic figures - DONE

(1/4) > >>

Frank3k:
I decided to build the last two figures from the Masterbox Desert Battle Series:

Masterbox  1/35 Skull Clan – Long-distance raid. Where am I? Splinter:

Masterbox 1/35 Skull Clan – Long-distance raid. A new religion. Pastor

I started with the Pastor - I'm calling the Pastor "Al" - because even though I've never tried it, I've seen ads in LA for a taco made with spit-grilled pork called "Al Pastor"... and Masterbox figure kits have recently been pigs.

Surprisingly, Al seems to be of average height in 1/35 and more importantly, properly scaled. Molding and the face are OK, too. My main changes so far have been to undercut the plastic a bit and remove the ridiculous quad belt he's wearing. The head looks big in part because it's tacked:

He reminds me of Torgo, from "Manos, the Hands of Fate"

Since Al seemed to be mostly OK, I decided to give Splinter a look. We know that Masterbox is hit or miss (mostly a wide miss) when it comes to representing believable females in plastic. Well... Splinter isn't as bad as Hanna (I'm still salty over the amount of work I had to put into that figure to get a mediocre result).

On the positive side, Splinter isn't a 6'5" scale female and seems about the size of a 15 year old girl. That's it. The face still looks a bit like a man's... and well fed. Using the boxtop image as guide, I trimmed her face and nose a bit. She still looks like she's been hitting the cheeseburgers and donuts, though.

The hands were awful - poorly defined lumps with stubs for fingers (if they were even that well defined). Luckily, the female driver from the Moderoid Exoframe kit had hands that were the same size and in a similar pose, so Splinter went in for a hand transplant. I added some thin plastic shavings to her hair (replacing the bows) to get them close in volume to the boxtop, replaced the bag she was carrying with a resin one Jeff sent me a few years ago, added a canteen and some shoulder straps for the bag and shotgun. The kit comes with a child's backpack (with a bear on it) but adding it would require yet more shoulder straps, so I'll skip it.

This is where she's at right now:

I haven't painted in the pupils so she looks like she's ready to join the "Village of the Damned" kids.

What looks like a seam on her arm is my failed attempt at creating the ribbing on her sweater.

There's also a sorry excuse for a dog (German Shepherd by the boxtop) - looks like a lumpy, poorly detailed wolf or a hairy pig? It's just shaded here but it may get replaced with a better looking dog:

I'll go back and add her pupils and fix some of the paint issues and handling damage that are evident, then it's time to work on Al.

Jeffry Fontaine:
The box artwork for the "Pastor" looks a bit like Sam Elliot, just a hint mind you.  Of course the actual figure does not share this.  :smiley:

apophenia:

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 20, 2021, 12:54:35 AM ---The box artwork for the "Pastor" looks a bit like Sam Elliot, just a hint mind you.  Of course the actual figure does not share this.  :smiley:

--- End quote ---

Sam Elliott was my first thought too ("There's just one thing, Dude ... Do you have to use so many cuss words?")

And, yeah, the box art doesn't bear much resemblance to the actual figures. I like what Frank is doing with them though  :smiley:

Splinter looks even younger than her box top alter-ego. So, maybe more residual baby-fat than burgers and doughnuts?

Frank3k:
I wish Masterbox would have the boxtop artist do the CAD drawings (if they are CAD drawings; I have my doubts) for the plastic.

Buzzbomb:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on November 20, 2021, 09:50:26 AM ---I wish Masterbox would have the boxtop artist do the CAD drawings (if they are CAD drawings; I have my doubts) for the plastic.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the artwork sells the kit. The "passing resemblance" to the box art sometimes does not quite cut it.

Kudos though to MB for this range of figures

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version