Author Topic: The "Pick 'n Shovel War" of July, 1940  (Read 5881 times)

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
The "Pick 'n Shovel War" of July, 1940
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »
Not completely fleshed out, yet, but this "backstory" goes along with a projected build of a "monoplane Hs-123" as a fighter-trainer (now called an Hs-131) for the Chilean Naval Air Service.  The aircraft carrier HMS Eagle, built on the hull of the Chilean battleship Almirante Cochrane (true) is "returned" to Chile (fanciful) and though the carrier itself is equipped with the latest Sea Hurricanes, a training squadron is started up with the Hs-131's.

It is July, 1940. In the Andes mountains near Bariloche (Arg.), substantial gold veins had been discovered running East/West through the Andes at high altitudes. Both Chile and Argentina accused the other of pursuing the veins into the other's country in violation of mining agreements and sovereignty.

The border regions become "militarized" with seaplanes in the lakes at first, then with "training squadrons" of armed land planes at makeshift airstrips in a show of "presence". Fighter-trainers from both sides converged on the area, with a couple of front-line He-112's (Argentina) and Gloster Gadflies (Chile) parked on the airstrips to add "gravity" to the situation. "Training flights" with occasional live firing practice became commonplace. Each side wanted gunfire to "remind" the other that they meant business.

2,000 feet down in the earth, the same gold vein was being followed by both sides and eventually the tunnels broke through---cursing miners poured in and fought each other with shovels, pickaxes, and dare I say, jackhammers. Blood from both sides stained the earth.

Tension flared above, too, and a Chilean Henschel Hs-131 spotted a Heinkel He-61 (Argentine fighter-trainer) flying below. In the dogfight that ensued, the Chilean shot down the Argentine plane and it made a forced landing in a high meadow. Seeing that the pilot exited the downed plane, the Chilean pilot chivalrously radioed its location and dropped a survival kit (food, blankets, compass, etc). Expanded conflict was avoided when Argentina learned that the He-61 had, in fact, drifted into Chilean airspace and the Chilean pilot had looked after the welfare of the downed Argentine, so honor was served by an official Argentine government apology and a renewed effort to limit exploitation of the gold veins to within one's own borders.

PS--here is the "Gloster Gadfly" monoplane Gladiator, but in Irish Air Corps markings:

Here is the Argentine He-61:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:57:07 PM by sequoiaranger »
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: The "Pick 'n Shovel War" of July, 1940
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:41:04 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
Hs-131
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:52 AM »
I'm going to take the Airfix Hs-123 and mate an Aero C-3 outer wing down low, like...

Incidentally, besides the Chilean "shield and star" national insignia, I hope to have the squadron badge be:

“Pimientos Calientes Rojos de Chile” (Red-hot Chile Peppers)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:01:40 AM by sequoiaranger »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »
That looks familiar:

I guess great minds think alike...or fools never differ. ;)

Offline sequoiaranger

• Holding Pattern
"Familiar"?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
Yes, I think "we" proposed such an aircraft on the other whif board.

It's just that there wasn't a story to go along with it!  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Ah, that might explain it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »
Craig,
 I love the "Gloster Gadfly"! The He-61 looks like a Shrike relative. Maybe it's the spats.

Offline sequoiaranger

• Holding Pattern
Shrike?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:35:27 AM »
>The He-61 looks like a Shrike relative. Maybe it's the spats. <

I made this 1/72 aircraft from a 1/144 He-111, putting the pilot where the top-gun position was, adding an Argus engine, and putting "pants" where the twin engines were!

Offline A1_Phoenix

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Shrike?
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
>The He-61 looks like a Shrike relative. Maybe it's the spats. <

I made this 1/72 aircraft from a 1/144 He-111, putting the pilot where the top-gun position was, adding an Argus engine, and putting "pants" where the twin engines were!

:icon_surprised:

the word "wonderful" is almost offensive.. i like it in an absolute way!!

S!
A1