Author Topic: Last flight of the Battle Carrier Shinigami  (Read 40502 times)

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
Re: Gelvades Class Battle Carrier - 1/1000 scale Darold
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »
I'm with Buzz - to my eye it looks pretty good. How about a longer shot, with something this size (length not scale lol) it's often more about the impression of the whole that'll tell you whether it's what you had in mind or not.

And a question on the lighting - how'd you keep the tips of the fibre optics clear from the paint or doesn't it matter?

btw - awesome detailing - micro masking - sheesh !!!!!!

Brent

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
thanks fellas. I have received some good news from a reliable source that what I have done is quite within the realms of what this ship is capable of, so  I'm pretty happy about that

Queeg, thanks very much mate:) And to answer your question, you don't take paint off a Fiber thread, you leave it protruding from the surface when installing them and cut them off once the last clear coat has been applied  - no way you could scrape paint off a thread without going cross-eyed   :-\
I'll take full views of it once it's done and dusted - which could still be a small way off yet as I am still waiting for the bridge to be cast in clear resin.
I can't do anything else now until it's done....actually, that's not true - I still have the final electronics to do and I have to make a stand and base for it as well. So I'll be busy with that over the next couple of weeks I guess :D
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:29 PM »
Queeg, thanks very much mate:) And to answer your question, you don't take paint off a Fiber thread, you leave it protruding from the surface when installing them and cut them off once the last clear coat has been applied  - no way you could scrape paint off a thread without going cross-eyed   :-\

Makes sense. You'd still have to be pretty steady trimming them up close to the paint, not a job for the faint hearted lol
I'd love to have ago at lighting something one day .........

Brent

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
Hi all

Well, I guess I wasn't as close to finishing this as I thought. The base is turning out to be a complete model on it's own. Not opting for a simple stand and base, I have gone for something more interesting - well, hopefully.

First up, I have found a good use for all those ship superstructure plates I have from all the ship models I have scavenged from. They make great buildings!

A very rudimentary box to contain it all - with thanks to my son for the use of his puzzle box - that just has no puzzle left:

and a look at the very basic idea:

Of course, the base needs defending, so I am attempting to scratch up some wicked looking guns. I'll add stuff to them to make them look bulkier and meaner.

Everything is in its infant stage with so much more detail to add, but I thought I'd share what I have in mind.

Cheers
MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2014, 06:04:50 AM »
Well that should work up just nicely. I like bases like that.

I had considered putting the Airship Carrier onto a mooring mast.. but the physics of holding up there got too hard

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:12 AM »
can I offer one suggestion if its not too late? All the structures on your base appear to be parallel to the edges of the base. If you angle them just a few degrees it will make for a better display.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »
damn - I've already glued the buildings in place, otherwise I would have actually done what you suggested. It just didn't occur to me to angle the buildings like that. The ship will be angled though, so hopefully that will help counter the symmetry a bit.
Good call though - thanks  :)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
Greetings all

I have started to detail the base now and it appears that what I have in my head will actually work.

I have also slightly adjusted the base a little to include service tunnels - mostly to add more depth to the base.

you can just see the added surface detail i have been adding to the channels. They'll be much more noticeable once they're painted and washed:

and some plant machinery (well, the start anyway):

This should make it so the buildings don't look so perpendicular to the edges of the base - well, at least distract the eye a little from the fact they are.

I am also trialling something a little different for a light effect. If it works I'll post some pics

Anyways, must be off, I still have plenty more to go.

Thanks for looking

Si

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 02:23:09 PM »
Wheather thatz an engine, HVAC, a space still, ray beam power unit, or what - it is looking right.

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »
you are the greeble king! ;)
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2014, 08:40:01 AM »
I'm loving all of the ship parts I'm seeing in this!  Wonderful use of extra parts.  Keep it up  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
thanks guys :) your kind posts are greatly appreciated.
I'm slowly plugging away at it, but need to put my foot down if I am to make Melbourne Expo. So much work to do and not enough time!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
Channels on the base? Haven't they heard what happened to the Death Star?  :P

Love this build! The base is going to look great, too!  :)

I wonder how a spaceship like this would look as a regular ship? Cut it off at a waterline of choice, put it on a sea display, arm it with all kinds of "warshippy" stuff (AEGIS panels, Phalanx, Harpoons, the works), put some JSFs, Harriers, Ospreys or other helos on it....
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »
... but need to put my foot down if I am to make Melbourne Expo. So much work to do and not enough time!

Bah.. according the Expo Website you have 98 days  :o :o :o

hang on... now I need to get a wriggle on as well.
Really looking forward to seeing it there as this is an all round sensational build

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
Only a little over 3 months huh?! Man am I screwed. I work at the speed of evolution so 3 months is like saying its next week for me ;)
I'll get it done though , just hopefully not loosing any "quality" whilst I speed through it.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
hi guys

Been slowly plodding away at this. I have scratched up my own guns to go on the base a defenses

I have pretty much finished detailing the bit on the bottom of the base and have just started spraying the top part of the base. Will try to finish detailing the buildings tonight and from there it's on the that last part of it all and that is putting it all together
I've attached the carrier deck to the ship but I am still waiting to get the bridge section cast for me (I haven't seen the bloke who does it yet - been 2 months and a no show each time)
I'll post some more pics of the base soon

Cheers
MH

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
Excellent build on those guns.  They are cool  8)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2014, 01:42:30 PM »
Just loving this build

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
thanks guys. Wait til you see the plates - I've just finished spraying them a custom mix of Alclad and man they look good. Really happy with how they've turned out. The channels will off set it nicely I think :)
Once they've dried, I'll take some pics with it all together

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »
Just loving this build

I couldn't put it better. The details are incredible!

Brian da Basher

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »
I concur with you guys .
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2014, 06:18:40 PM »
thanks guys - glad your enjoying it  :)

Well, it's update time, and here is where I am currently at.
I have finished the first of the buildings and the guns are both painted. One of which is now attached to the first building. If these guns were real, man, they would be massive! But I think they look way cool none the less. I have also reduced the amount of fibers I  had because it didn't look right and I  thought it needed to be a bit more spacely set out. Lighting pics later:

I have started to do the second building now and so far so good. I changed the mast design I had originally to this much better looking one now. I found some 1/35 iron telegraph poles mae by Miniart and they were the perfect (well, almost - had to jig it a little) size to go over the inside pole which hides the power cables to the ship and holds the plug which it sits on. I think they look rather good, so I'm keeping it. I wanted an industrial look and I  think I got it.

I have also finished "the pit". I wanted it to look grimy and dirty - a start contrast to the plates on the top level that the buildings sit on. However, painting is not my strong suite, so I may not have done it too convincingly. Its the second time I have ever used MIG pigments (a good practice run for my upcoming BR52 build later on). Sorry for the slightly blurry pic

And Ii thought I would try something a little different here. I bent a 5mm Fiber Optic thread, painted the bottom silver, wrapped some very thin strips of masking tape around the thread, then over that sprayed black then Iron to try and achieve a sci-fi looking energy pipe. I hope you can see it. Once the final photos are taken ytou should. It's one of those things you may or may not see - depends if your looking for it I guess:

And last but not least, the top plate. The blue service channels off set the metallic paint quite nicely I think: I will be adding more pipes and some other smaller structures to the plates as well - I just haven't got those parts yet. I have made my own pipes though that will feed from "the pit" to the mast. Don't ask me what function they would have 'coz I have no idea - Ii am just because I think it'll look cool

Well, that's all for now. Need to finish off the second building. Once that's painted and dried, both buildings will be set onto the plates then onto the base. The ship itself is almost finished - just need to get that bloody bridge section cast and the guns painted then I  can call it done!
As always, if you have any feedback - good or bad - please feel free to post

Cheers

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »
Greetings all
I am almost finished the base now – just a few things to tidy up, mostly just the edging.
I decided to plug everything in tonight to see how it looks, and I am pretty darn happy with myself. It’s come out really well – not too bright – just right. I am also glad I reduced the number of Fiber threads in the buildings – the effect is now just right. I had to spray the surface another colour because the Alclad scratched off a lot and it was looking pretty crap, so I have gone with a light gray and I am happy with the result.
The ship is finished bar the bridge section which is being cast in clear – so I should get that back in a couple of weeks. I also plugged that into the base and it works a treat. Pics of that part soon. In the meantime, I took some pics of the base so you can see what you think:

Thanks for stopping in guys
See you soon

MH

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2014, 01:14:19 AM »
Wow, just wow

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:33 AM »
Amazing build! Even the tape looks good...