Modelling > 1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars GB

Fairey Finbar - Irish Air Corps 1932

<< < (2/6) > >>

Frank3k:
Nice vac work, which is usually harder than it looks!

I like both cowled engines!

apophenia:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on June 10, 2021, 11:44:27 AM ---Nice vac work, which is usually harder than it looks!

--- End quote ---

It is ... and it is!

The Pegasus give the Fairey III a slight Swordfish feel. Since a radial-engined naval III was a Seal, maybe a 'Super Seal' torpedo bomber predating the 'Stringbag'?

jcf:
The Jupiter was in production well into the 1930s with multiple variants.
The Bristol Seeley and the Bristol Bloodhound were both fitted with
experimental turbo-charged variants, a Jupiter III and a Jupiter IV
respectively. The Bristol Orion was another turbo-supercharged Jupiter
based engine.

apophenia:
Cool! I had to Google both of those Bristol types. Of the Jupiter IV, BAE Systems heritage says "425 hp Bristol Jupiter IV (normal, variable timing or supercharged)". Any idea what 'variable timing' means in that context?

Buzzbomb:
An interesting world of British 20's-30's aircraft. Also did some more digging around getting background of engines and the IIIF or its heirs and successors tried quite a few.
Fairey Seal, Fairey Gordon, direct descendants, with different engines. Then there was sales to overseas buyers, often with a different engine.
It was almost that my proposed whiffer was a RW model  :o.
Thought about tossing it in for this.. a Merlin Models Gloster Grebe, another one that popped out of the stash while looking for something else. What was I on when I bought that ???

It was a bigger task to hammer into shape than the Vac Form. I don't dare show the other one that was with it, also Merlin Models, their Curtiss Wright CW-21 which is an all metal kit. What were THEY on when they decided that was a good idea. >:D

So back to work on the III <whatever>
No problems about redoing the awful injection stuff. That had been decided very early
Replaced the landing gear with brass and Aeroclub strut. Much easier

Revisited the rigging holes

Whacked in some new struts to the replace the 4x2 rough sawn timber looking things that had been supplied with the kit. And another engine variation, I think it is a Pratt and Witney with that cooling gizmo they had.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version