Modelling > Floaty GB: 1 Jun - 31 Aug

Simon's Cat(alina)

(1/10) > >>

Robomog:

Hi all

Just a place marker for the moment.

As you can guess this will feature a PBY Catalina (very floaty) but as it will require a unique paint scheme that I (sorta) have in my head it will be crucial that I get to grips with manufacturing my own decals if this is going to be a goer. I will be using the Fairey Gannett in the Beasts of Burden GB as a prototype.

Of course if everything goes mammaries up, I can always do an OOB build but that won't be quite so much fun so I need to finish the Gannett before I start this one.

More when it happens (eventually)...................

Mog
>^-.-^<

Old Wombat:
 :smiley:

Robomog:
Ok Chaps finally got to start this one.

After the success of producing decals for the Waterbombing Gannet this ones a goer :smiley:

Here is the base kit, The 1987 Boxing of the Airfix Catalina.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Its quite old and the plastic feels waxy and brittle. There is a bit of flash and a fair few sink holes and ejector marks also some of the larger parts appear warped  but this is not suprising the mould is dated 1964 ! (and more amazingly it looks this kit was still in production in 2008 !)

I'm going to convert this aircraft into a fictional civilian air tour Catalina so i have purchased some aftermarket transparencies, the intention being that the civilian conversion included replacing the existing canopies with "frame less" plastic equivalents for better sight seeing. However the vac-form canopies are of very high quality and  include the framing faintly etched in as a guide, so i have shot myself in the foot slightly. However i will explain this away as clear plastic reinforcement to make the canopies/blisters more robust.  ::)

I have not quite decided what to do with the front turret, it will either be a fighter type canopy faired into the fuselage or the Vac-form replacement turret canopy used front to back to give a clear lookout.   

As you can see below construction has started, fit is not brilliant but considering the age of the kit not unsurprising, the only other really old kit in my stash at the moment is a Rotodyne and i imagine the fit on that will be iffy as well, cant decide what to do with that kit yet as all the ideas i have had for it have already been done. You can see the frame detail in the vac-form canopies.

by Robomog, on Flickr

The interior detail of this kit is pretty spartan and I rarely super detail cockpits at this scale because you generally can't see much once the canopy is on, but as I am replacing the existing glass with new and very clear aftermarket parts I will have to make the effort.

Below I have started the process, my bulkhead skills have improved somewhat. I will be putting some detail into the rear compartment, the cockpit and the forward gun turret.

by Robomog, on Flickr

More as it happens............

Thanks for looking.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Old Wombat:
 :smiley:

GTX_Admin:
Some inspiration:  http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/PeterStuyv.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page