Modelling > Engineering Dept.

ATGMs of the Cold War

<< < (2/2)

M.A.D:
Sorry to respond to this topic some seven years late Logan, but in truth I've just stumbled across it 😔

May I add, as much as it seems large and heavy HOT, TOW and Swingfire gives a better kill probability, I don't think one can underestimate the importance of true portability and hence flexibility of the Milan system for its size, weight, warhead size and range. In reality HOT, TOW and Swingfire for all intent and purposes needed a means of transport, be it a helicopter, AFV or even 4x4 to carry it and just importantly it's reloads. The Milan was about as small, practical, reliable and effective 'man-portable' (alas by a team of three soldiers) ATGM you could get in the era.
This in my opinion and experience equates to a true and effective ATGM immediately available to troops - not just for tank killing, but for also engaging enemy strong points/bunkers, helicopters, etc...

MAD

Logan Hartke:
I think that's a very true point, MAD. I would completely agree that it was just the best for an infantry ATGM in the late Cold War.

GTX_Admin:
Some good info on the Soviet ATGMs here:  https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2021/07/soviet-atgms.html

Logan Hartke:
I love the Tankograd blog. There's not a bad post on there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version