Modelling > SciFi & Fantasy

SF and Fantasy novels we have read and could recommend.......

<< < (2/11) > >>

Klaus Wachsmuth:

--- Quote from: Weaver on October 19, 2013, 10:34:01 PM ---Another similar SF story is the one by Larry Niven where a human ship meets the Kzinti for the first time. Earth has been at peace for so long that the human crew literally have no concept of violence or war at all, except for an abstract historical concept. The warlike Kzinti pick all this up from comms and decide that since the Earth ship's technology is interesting, rather than blow it up, they'll just kill off the crew of "ridiculous weaklings" with an induction beam that heats it up and then take it home with them.

The human crew are utterly mystified as to why their ship is heating up and why the intelligent aliens (who MUST of course, be peaceful) don't want to talk to them, until one of them, a history buff, puts two and two together and realises the unthinkable truth. The humans turn their unarmed ship around, as if to move away..... then kick in their star drive at point blank range, cutting the Kzinti vessel in half and killing everyone aboard. They then head home in the blackest of depressions with the awful news that humanity is going to have to learn the killing game all over again.....

Edit - the story is called "The Warriors".

--- End quote ---

The series is called The Man-Kzin Wars, and is already at Book XIII.

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: Volkodav on October 20, 2013, 06:40:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: elmayerle on October 19, 2013, 10:06:45 PM ---There was a story somewhat like that by Christopher Anvil in which the planet banished, or put in stasis, those who could lively peacefully.  These types were unleashed when some unwise power attacked them.  In this particular story, it was crab-like aliens.  I know it's in one of the collections of his stories that Eric Flint edited.

--- End quote ---
Yes that was it, their primary export was the ability to place anything in stasis for as long as desired and revive it immediately as required.  The secret was they could control the flow of time so when they were attacked they simply released their belligerent citizens from stasis and gave then a very large speed boost enabling them to literally fly rings around the attackers as if they were standing still.

--- End quote ---
The story is "The Claw and The Clock" and is collected in Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity from Baen Books.

Volkodav:
Great thanks.  It really had me racking my brains but some good came of it, during my research I found David Brins Temptation on line and had a read.

This could be a good thread in its own right, good SF and Fantasy novels we have read and could recommend.......

GTX_Admin:
As suggested above...

Volkodav:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on October 20, 2013, 12:27:11 PM ---As suggested above...

--- End quote ---

Tah

Brin!

Gremmel

Jordan

Feist

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version