Modelling > Scenarios

Australias "Loans Affair" never happens

(1/4) > >>

Volkodav:
In the early 70s the then Australian government investigated cheap finance options from Saudi Arabia and other less traditional sources.  Elements within Australia convinced the government not to proceed with this and to attempt to secure finance from more traditional sources, i.e. the United States.  This required the Government to cease negotiations with all other parties which the government and its relevant ministers stated had occurred.  One of the ministers was lying and had continued negotiations through back channels, he was caught out and charged with misleading parliament which led to a constitutional crisis and the dismissal of the government.

This is history, it really happened, but the thing that is often over looked is what this finance was being sought for.  I have only recently discovered that the money was intended to build a national electrified rail system and uranium enrichment / processing plants to boast Australia's energy export program, two items on infra structure we still lack today, almost 40 years later.

This scenario is that either the original "oil money" or the later "US" money finance went ahead without the scandal and Australia was able to complete this nation building infrastructure through the 1980s.  The obvious follow-ons would have been nuclear power stations, and a national power grid, improved ports taking advantage of the improved rail.

GTX_Admin:
Possibly could have seen nuclear powered naval ships most likely subs.  A different Collins class?

Volkodav:
 ;D never crossed my mind.......

Volkodav:
Nuclear power stations plus desal plants equals new Snowy river scheme, no water shortages, no sick river systems.

GTX_Admin:
Something like this from Greater Australia:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version