Author Topic: Erryplanes by perttime  (Read 73622 times)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Re: Erryplanes by perttime
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2013, 06:22:43 PM »
Another one (two actually) for the Beyond '46 GB:

Even in late 1940s, Heston Adder was not quite up to the speeds of the latest jet fighters like Gloster Meteor, MiG-9, and Yak-23. It was quite capable of intercepting any bomber, though, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the concentrated firepower of its 4 20 mm Hispano guns. As Soviet night bombing raids of Western cities had become a concern, RAF rotated most of their remaining Adders through a conversion to Mk. III nigh fighters. The conversion mainly consisted of installing a Telefunken radar system and painting the aircraft black. The "color" scheme prompted a new - first unofficial - name for the night fighter: the "Blackadder".

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:02:21 AM by perttime »

Offline perttime

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
As Armstrong Whitworth got up to speed producing the night fighter version of the Meteor in 1950, RAF's Blackadders were offered to allies who did not yet have radar equipped night fighters. 18 of them went to Ireland where the Air Corps mainly stationed them at the Casement Aerodrome (Aeradróm Mhic Easmainn), not too far from Dublin. The Casement Aerodrome had, and has, generally more favorable weather conditions than Dublin Airport, allowing better availability of interceptors.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
Blackadder ... heh, heh  :)  Easy to imagine those night fightes upgrades later with wingtip radar pods.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline perttime

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Easy to imagine those night fighters upgrades later with wingtip radar pods.
Now it has the German late WW2 style "TV antennas" for radar

Offline perttime

Re: Erryplanes by perttime - Macchi M.39T
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:58 AM »
Macchi M.39T: Gordon Bennett Trophy racer, 1926
Posting my The Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda GB entry here too.

The Gordon Bennett Trophy could have been running through the 1920s and '30s, with rules paralleling the Schneider Trophy rules - but for landplanes. Italy should certainly have participated, and let Mario Castoldi base the landplane racers on his Schneider Trophy designs. For 1926, the Italian Gordon Bennett Trophy entry would have been Macchi M.39T.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Macchi M.39T (T for Terra) was a single-seat landplane of mixed metal and wooden construction. The wooden wings were wire-braced, with two thirds of the upper surfaces used as low drag surface radiators. The pilot sat in an open cockpit parallel with the trailing edge of the wing. The cockpit's windscreen and "turtledeck" were somewhat raised for better visibility, compared with the seaplane version. Being lower weight than the seaplane, the M.39T was given a shorter wing span.

Macchi built two types of M.39T: two trainer aircraft and three racers. The trainer version had a 447-kilowatt (600-horsepower) Fiat AS.2 liquid-cooled V12 engine, while the racing version had a 597-kilowatt (800-horsepower) Fiat A.S.2.

On 17 October 1926, the three M.39T racers took part in the 1926 Gordon Bennett Trophy contest at RAE Farnborough, Hampshire, England. Major de Bernardi, took first place with an average speed of 426.7 kilometres per hour (265.1 mph), setting a new world speed record. Three days later, on 20 October 1926, de Bernardi achieved a new world speed record of 442.6 kilometres per hour (275.0 mph) over a 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) course at Farnborough.

A larger version of the picture can be found at DeviantArt: http://perttime.deviantart.com/art/Macchi-M39T-side-views-400392307?ga_submit_new=10%253A1379247143
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:23:01 PM by perttime »

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »
Great work on that Macchi!

Offline perttime

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
Thanks!
I believe the idea is good. If I come up with some further developments, I will try to do better in the areas that I'm not quite happy with...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2013, 07:00:16 AM »
I like it! Great concept  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »
Dear perttime, I thought I had seen all your airplanes elsewhere, but I have checked your collection here and discovered many marvels, thanks! Wow :-* :-*
PS. What is the meaning of "erryplanes"? I know the erythromycin antibiotic but that seems different ;)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2013, 12:40:37 AM »
My favourite may be your Spitfire R, that I remember was a derivative of the 3-engined Twin-Spitfire R (December 1945 design)...

Offline perttime

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »
"Erryplane" is just a twisted way to spell "aeroplane", as far as I know. It looks a little childish to me. I'm not sure if it would be a natural way to spell "aeroplane" in some English dialect.

The Twin-Spitfire R looks like it has enough engines  :icon_surprised: I'm not sure if it has enough propellers to absorb all the power, though ;D
Getting it balanced must have been a challenge. What if the starboard fuselage were shorter, instead of longer, and the third engine mounted right above the wing?   :-\

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:49 AM »
Thanks for the erryplane explanation!
Thanks also for correcting the Twin-Spitfire R design, but I fear my skills in Photoshoping (with my old Corel PhotoPaint6) are not high enough to succed, for the exhaust pipes transition to red instead of white. I may try though, I will see.
Thanks again! :D

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
I fear my skills in Photoshoping (with my old Corel PhotoPaint6) are not high enough to succed, for the exhaust pipes transition to red instead of white. I may try though,

You see what I mean?:

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »
The Twin-Spitfire R looks like it has enough engines  :icon_surprised: I'm not sure if it has enough propellers to absorb all the power, though ;D
You were right, this seems "better"... ;D

Offline perttime

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
That should be enough propellers too ;D
Now it probably needs new landing gear, too, but that can be handled...

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2013, 11:52:44 PM »
Getting it balanced must have been a challenge.

Sorry, it was not wise to have 3 engines on 2 axis. Wisdom command a 4th engine, somehow!:

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2013, 12:54:59 AM »
Getting it balanced must have been a challenge.

Sorry, it was not wise to have 3 engines on 2 axis. Wisdom command a 4th engine, somehow!:

That's 25 blades.  :o. I don't think I have many spare blades in the stash.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »
Love the Macchi M.39T.  ANy chnace of seeing a Macchi M.72T?  Though I suspect you'll have fun putting in radiator surface lost by removing the floats.

Offline perttime

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2013, 01:24:08 AM »
That's 25 blades.
I count 28...
ANy chnace of seeing a Macchi M.72T?
Sorry, I'm not planning to do a Macchi M.72T. Its long straight nose doesn't really appeal to me. I suspect it would have to have conventional radiators too (or cover the whole thing with surface radiators  :o )

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2013, 01:32:34 AM »
That's 25 blades.
I count 28...
ANy chnace of seeing a Macchi M.72T?
Sorry, I'm not planning to do a Macchi M.72T. Its long straight nose doesn't really appeal to me. I suspect it would have to have conventional radiators too (or cover the whole thing with surface radiators  :o )

4x4 = 16
3x3 = 9
25?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline perttime

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2013, 02:00:02 AM »
4x4 = 16
3x3 = 9
25?
7x4=28
... that is assuming that Tophe's ...er... Zwillingfire uses the same kind of props that my contraprop Spitfires and Seafires do http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2970.msg45377#msg45377

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »
I have no expertise of my own about blades, I just copied and pasted your marvelous pictures. Thanks again!
I prepare an answer about landing gears, I will see if I can.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2013, 02:32:15 AM »
Now it probably needs new landing gear, too, but that can be handled...
On 1945 December 31st was presented the Supermarine/Delanne/Blohm-Voss Tandem-Twin-Spitfire, with 4 main landing gears:

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2013, 02:35:11 AM »
Just the day before had been presented the Supermarine/Fauvel/Horten Twin-Spitfire-Flying-Wing:

Offline perttime

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2013, 03:04:15 AM »
Hmmmm there's only so much space for fuel there, so it isn't a longe range airplane.
... but what I really wonder is: Where did they put all the radiators?  ;D