Modelling > Land

Scorpion (CVR(T)) family (and Scorpion turret users) - Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (2/20) > >>

apophenia:
The Canadian Forces had ongoing problems with cracks forming in those Alvis aluminium turrets. Was that an issue for British or Australian users?

Weaver:
Don't know about the UK and Aus ones, but I did read somewhere that Malaysia had trouble with turret cracking on their Scorpion 90s.

dy031101:

--- Quote from: Weaver on March 18, 2013, 11:29:27 PM ---Jordanian Scorpion : Scorpion refit with 30mm 2A72 cannon + 4 x ATGW (not sure if this is in production or prototype only)
--- End quote ---

Hum...... I wonder if the same can be done on any what-if export Scimitar......

Rickshaw:

--- Quote from: Weaver on March 20, 2013, 08:45:41 PM ---Don't know about the UK and Aus ones, but I did read somewhere that Malaysia had trouble with turret cracking on their Scorpion 90s.

--- End quote ---

Never heard of any problems with the Australian ones.  Were the Canadian ones imported or locally manufactured?   The Australian ones were imported IIRC.  Might have been the sort of vehicle they were mounted on and how they were used...

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: Weaver on March 19, 2013, 12:23:45 AM ---So, whiff ideas....

US Scorpion : what if the US armed forces had bought the CVR(T) series?

Light tanks : it's hard to see the US Army going for either the 76mm or the RARDEN, though the USMC might see the value in the 76mm (light fire-support). The probable US option, assuming a 1970s/early 1980s buy,  would be a 25mm Bushmaster I think. US requirements might also have lead to an early introduction of a stretched Stormer-style hull and that might have carried a Delco turret with a 25mm and 2 x TOW.

APC and derivatives : the US always seems to prefer 12.7mm over 7.62mm for APC weapons, so US version of the Spartan et al would probably have low-profile cupolas with manual .50 cal Brownings instead of the tall British Mk.16 cupola with it's remote GPMG.

ATGW : this is an interesting one: would the US have fitted TOWs on the 25mm Scorpion, or an infantry-style launcher in a roof hatch on the Spartan? It's hard to see how you could get a hammerhead unit onto a Spartan, given that it was capable of over-balancing an M113 given half a chance.

--- End quote ---

US Army Scimitars in a recon role. :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version