Modelling > Land

One for new guy Mark A.

(1/3) > >>

Scooterman:
Saw this at the Texas State Fair of all places.......

(sorry for crappy pics.  thru glass with phone camera)

Queeg:
Very cool ........ if anyone could get the York system to work it would be the Israelis. My understanding is that the real reason it was a flop is because the APU couldn't deliver enough stable current when all the systems were juiced up and the fire-control systems kept shutting down and re-booting during aquisition and tracking tests.

Bit similar to the problems with the NASA Lem except whereas Neil Armstrong could take over manually and make a moon landing SgtYork gunners couldn't manually hit simulated migs ...... 

Volkodav:
The radar was also picking up the barrel muzzles and identifying them as targets.  The whole project was a sad case of mashing MOTS components together and hoping they worked, mounting the turret on old M-48 hulls was perhaps the silliest part as, even if they eventually solved all the other issues, it guaranteed the vehicle would never be able to keep up with the Abrams and Bradleys it was meant to protect.

I believe the issues included:

* M-48 hull too slow to keep up with M-1 & M-2
APG-66 derived radar suffered from clutter issues
Guns burst rate of fire was too low
Turret tarverse too slow to track and engage targets
It did look cool though.
[/list]

Mark Aldrich:
Very neat idea but the builder should have used the ERA bricks Off the old ESCI M60!  When I did my Merkava ADA I chose the Gepard because the York was cancelled.  I do however, plan on mating the M247 turret to a M1A1 hull to show the York as it should have been!  You can't expect to take the tracking system out of an F-16 Falcon and mount it onto a Vietnam era hull and expect it to work properly.  I was under the impression that the major issues were not being able to engage anything over it's rear deck (heat) and that the sytem still could not differentiate between house, trees, and targets.  In the air, these issues were not a problem.  One or more threat aircraft and sky!!

Queeg:

--- Quote from: Volkodav on October 19, 2012, 08:15:47 PM ---It did look cool though.
[/list]

--- End quote ---

This is the bit that works for me everytime .....  ;)

As an aside, has anyone ever found any US docs evaluating the ZSU23/4, that might be an interesting read ......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version