Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Turret Ring Size Question - Stuart and Saladin

<< < (3/3)

jcf:
I'm not sure why you'd want to as the armour on the Saladin is thinner than the Stuart, .5" vs. 1".

Story:

--- Quote from: jcf on October 04, 2022, 07:41:27 AM ---I'm not sure why you'd want to as the armour on the Saladin is thinner than the Stuart, .5" vs. 1".

--- End quote ---

Depends on the hierarchy of trade-offs; ease of maintenance, ammunition supply and availability of parts vs armor thickness.

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: jcf on October 04, 2022, 07:41:27 AM ---I'm not sure why you'd want to as the armour on the Saladin is thinner than the Stuart, .5" vs. 1".
--- End quote ---
Just an idea on how to improve on the M8 75mm HMC by replacing the open top turret with something of similar size and capability.  Neither the Saladin nor the M8 have much room to start with so perhaps the kit bash with these two subjects might be worth exploring. 

The M5/M8 hull has already been modified by fitting the VVSS from a Tamiya Grant/Lee including the drive sprockets and bogey wheels.  So swapping out the turret was just one more option to consider for this what-if. 

--- Quote from: Story on October 04, 2022, 06:03:28 AM ---Well, that was irritating - the TAMIYA Saladin box had three truck frames in it, while the TAMIYA Saladin collection was in a resin ELAND box.

Anyways, this is the turret from the later M113 FSV (so, nicer and better detailed) plopped onto a built /salvage M8 Stuart.
<snip>
I'd say you're good to go, less any technical hickups of mating the English wiring harness to the American hull.

When I went hunting for technical specifications, I found this post which has a good point - engine deck clearance.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/alternative-history-armoured-fighting-vehicles-part-3.470632/page-317#post-23005630
<snip>
The answer is easy enough - just build a spacer box for the turret race. Being a shot trap isn't going be such a big deal on such a thin skinned AFV.
--- End quote ---

Thank you for sharing the link and images.  I suspected the Saladin turret would be a simple drop-in without much needed to make it fit but it is always nice to see it before committing to the cutting of plastic. 
Other turrets under consideration are the DELCO turret from the LAV-25 (ESCI kit).  It fits the M5 Stuart without any real modification. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version