Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 129962 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2021, 06:31:46 AM »
I find the painting of stowage to be oddly calming. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »
I find the painting of stowage to be oddly calming. ::)

I don't mind painting the stowage but the one I am doing is one big block of resin. Trying to not overlap the colors when everything is smashed up against each other is nerve wracking hahahahahaha! I painted mine all solid colors to avoid painting the tiny camo patterns. I do have camo decals which I will use as I am going to be adding some backpacks hanging off the side of the cargo bed.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2021, 09:39:03 PM »
I spent a couple hours last night finishing up the painting of the stowage and got it installed. I will also be hanging a couple backpacks off either side of the rear cargo fences. Gonna work on those this weekend. The roof is just dry fitted for now. Still a long way to go before finishing everything though.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »
Looks good to me! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2021, 12:45:56 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2021, 12:50:56 AM »
Got the guns mounted. Used the Legend Mk.19 set and a Live Resin M240. Added more backpacks to the sides. Needs a gloss coat still. I have the other two Italeri HMMWV kits waiting for their gloss coats too.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2021, 08:54:05 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #282 on: August 04, 2021, 12:40:20 AM »
Got the Skif Strela painted last week.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2021, 08:30:30 PM »
I also got the Live Resin gun mount and shield painted last week on the Italeri M998A1 IED HMMWV.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #284 on: August 05, 2021, 06:25:21 AM »
Got the Italeri LAV-AT masked off for the last color of the NATO 3 color camo scheme. Will get the brown painted tomorrow hopefully, if the weather holds up.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #285 on: August 05, 2021, 05:33:24 PM »
Be good, Weather! :icon_punal:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #286 on: August 05, 2021, 09:43:04 PM »
Be good, Weather! :icon_punal:

The weather is looking good today but it is still a bit chilly out. Gotta wait a couple hours for it to warm up a bit. Getting everything ready right now and just waiting for the temperature to rise a few degrees.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2021, 12:46:13 AM »
Can you set up an airbrush tent/shelter like this one or or this one? and just have it near the house/garage door and tear it down when you're done. Or even keep it in an indoor room (with ventilation).

Offline Ramba

« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2021, 02:03:51 AM »
Can you set up an airbrush tent/shelter like this one or or this one? and just have it near the house/garage door and tear it down when you're done. Or even keep it in an indoor room (with ventilation).

Thanks for the tips on the portable Spray tent. I actually have a hunting blind that I got to use as a photography blind. I could probably use that. It takes about 10 seconds to set up but takes about 20 minutes to fold it back down.

Here is mine set up in the backyard being used as a bird blind.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2021, 02:08:58 AM »
Got the brown painted today on the Italeri LAV-AT. Needs a gloss coat next. I totally forgot to paint the wheels and tires so now I have to go do those some other time. Will see how the weather is this weekend.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2021, 02:30:19 AM »
That 'Fresh Off The Wash Rack' look of a new coat of paint.  Always a good sign of being on the last lap of your project with the final destination almost in view.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #291 on: August 06, 2021, 06:43:40 AM »
That 'Fresh Off The Wash Rack' look of a new coat of paint.  Always a good sign of being on the last lap of your project with the final destination almost in view.  :smiley:

Yeah, it's ready for the showroom floor. I do plan on weathering it so it won't look so clean and fresh.

I did get the gloss coat applied and it really darkened the colors.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #292 on: August 06, 2021, 08:34:12 AM »
You also painted the jerry cans. ;)

:smiley: :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #293 on: August 06, 2021, 09:55:00 PM »
You also painted the jerry cans. ;)

:smiley: :smiley:

You noticed! I also added the M240 gun mount.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2021, 10:00:27 PM »
Got the seats and radio glued in for the Italeri M998 command vehicle. You won't see any of the interior anyway so not spending a lot of time on it. The raised intake, extended exhaust, seats and radio are from the Tamiya M1025 kit. The radio rack is scratch built.

I also worked on the Italeri M998A1 IED vehicle. Got the front seats and radio in place and got the side armor on. The raised intake, extended exhaust, radio and rack are also from the Tamiya M1025. The seats are resin from AEF Designs.

Brothers posing for a family portrait. Still a ways to go on both before finishing them but getting there. I forgot to paint the wheels for the IED version so I need to go back and do those. I will do the IED version and the LAV-AT wheels at the same time, hopefully. I am using the Tamiya M1025 wheels/tires for the command vehicle. I also forgot the steering wheels in both HMMWV's.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:23:52 PM by Ramba »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #295 on: August 06, 2021, 10:19:33 PM »
You didn't "forget", you "hadn't arrived at that stage", yet. ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2021, 10:28:16 PM »
You didn't "forget", you "hadn't arrived at that stage", yet. ;)

I wish I could say I didn't arrive at that stage yet but I did have them in hand to paint but actually forgot them. I wasn't thinking straight. I usually gather all the items to be painted when the parts use the same color so I don't have to paint them all separately at different times. I had already cleaned the airbrush and packed away the paint when I realized I forgot to paint the wheels. I didn't feel like taking everything back out as I had already spent 20 minutes cleaning the airbrush.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #297 on: August 06, 2021, 11:56:15 PM »
I've done that, often.

Are you using acrylics?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2021, 04:54:14 AM »
I've done that, often.

Are you using acrylics?

I am using Model Master enamels for the interior and exterior.

I do use Vallejo Model Color acrylics though for the stowage. These were all hand painted using the VMC acrylics.

I also use the same VMC acrylics to hand paint my figures. The trousers were done using camo decals though.

Offline Silverfox

« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »
That stowage looks great; I always like seeing vehicles looking 'busy' with stuff. One of my favourite things about building in 1/35 is adding all the little details.
Never used camo decals for figures before - how easy are they to apply?