Author Topic: AVRO Lancaster, Manchester, Lincoln and Shackleton (and derivatives) Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 25084 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Just for argument's sake, how would the Manchester have looked and faired with two W3420's installed?  I'm thinking that they would've made a distinct difference (I can also see RR doing everything they could to prevent such).

Had to go look that one up Evan ---  :-[

I think that would be an excellent choice   :) , although all the engines planned for the Manchester were supposed to be around 2000 hp, I think they found it wasn't enough power for a large twin engined aircraft.  Hence my thoughts of going to the 3500-4000 hp Eagle.  On my Twin-Manchester I'm thinking three of these with 16 foot contra-props and the Nottingham is powered by four of them with Wyvern contra-props.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:27:30 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
On my Twin-Manchester I'm thinking three of these with 16 foot contra-props and the Nottingham is powered by four of them with Wyvern contra-props.

Hmmm...a Manchester powered by two Armstrong Siddeley Pythons....mmmm

These might help give an idea of what such a creature may have looked like:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Another option is to turn some of the various jet testbed Lancs into operational bombers...say, they had jets added to give that extra boost in over target speed maybe:

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
Yeah, maybe have a jet/flamethrower set in a moveable nozzle to thwart those "Schrage Muzik" Ju-88's lurking below you!!
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
I've got one of those Python FTB's on the go too, just have to dig it out of the project box and get on with it sometime.

Oddly, I thought I posted this here some time ago

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Twin 4360s on a post war Canadian Lanc.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Just for argument's sake, how would the Manchester have looked and faired with two W3420's installed?  I'm thinking that they would've made a distinct difference (I can also see RR doing everything they could to prevent such).

I had a bash but don't think it really works. One issue is the props lining up with the cockpit side windows ... and no room to move the engines aft. Probably the R-2600 was the best bet for the times.

BTW: image modified from one by Terry Hadler for Profile Aircraft No.260
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • ▄ber Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
No, props in the plane of the cockpit are not a good idea, as the Black Widow proved with every gear-up landing they made.  Ah, well, it was a nice idea.  A pusher-prop version perhaps?

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
Yes, excellent example. One possibility would be lengthened engine bearers matched with an extended rear fuselage (Ó la Lincoln) for balance.
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Another problem with the W3420 when compared to the Vulture is weight:
3275 lbs vs. approximately 1800. So for an aggregate improvement of around 900 hp at max output,
base airframe weight increases by almost 3000 pounds. The 3420 is also much larger dimensionally.

The Sabre was looked at early on, but was ruled out just as quickly due to its teething problems
and supply bottlenecks.

Two-stage or turbo-supercharged R-2800s along with the high-output Hercules models, including the turbo versions
are also other possibilities to look into.

R-3350 is out due to its own development and production problems.
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline apophenia

The Lanc itself just looks better and better doesn't it  ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Jet in tail or jets under wings, cool stuff.  8)
After seeing pictures - first thing came to my bashing mind was F-16 intake scoop on rear fuselage top with F100 or F110 or similar in tail.
Then it joins the 400+ MPH club.

Offline Daryl J.

kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Daryl J.

4 3350's to avoid the Merlin fee and designed to deliver plenty of Napalm across the pond 1967.

4 Allison V-1710's for US and Canadian coastal patrol, both oceans but principally the Atlantic theater.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Vietnam?

Maybe some RAAF Lincoln Mk31s operating in an air sea rescue role with underbelly lifeboat?