Author Topic: Trimotor and Coal Ramjet Cutlasses in FD Scale  (Read 444 times)

Online dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Trimotor and Coal Ramjet Cutlasses in FD Scale
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:48:54 PM »
FD scale is 22.093 pixels = 1 metre.  However, since the book where I got the drawing doesn't have dimensions for the design, I'm forced to approximate based on the size of the J46 engine.  The scaled drawing turns out to be a deal bigger than the real-life Cutlass.

So it begins:

I experimentally fitted a nose to the style of the F7U-3.  Not what the finished product will go with, this much I know now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:02:23 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Online dy031101

Re: Trimotor Cutlass in FD Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »

I shall proceed with the wings later today.

The ultimate plan is to do side view and then top view.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:24:32 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Online dy031101

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »
Much better:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:14:13 PM by dy031101 »

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 03:08:23 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online dy031101

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »

I want to implement a simple inflight refueling probe la Fury and Super Sabre...... but as shown, it ended up being exceptionally long...... which one of the above two would be okay, how can I make the scheme more workable, or is there something else I should try?

Comments and suggests will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:01:29 PM by dy031101 »

Offline Robomog

• Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 05:29:51 PM »
Nice profile and concept, you could possibly  put the fuel probe  to one side of the cockpit much like the Buccaneer

I was originally going to suggest over the cockpit HP Victor style but that would foul the ejector seat somewhat  :o

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Online dy031101

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »
Nice profile and concept, you could possibly  put the fuel probe  to one side of the cockpit much like the Buccaneer

Thanks.  :))

Robomog, your suggestion reminded me that the Cutlass has fuel tanks a short distance behind the cockpit...... and the line drawing that I used as a basis of this project (and posted at the OP) suggests a similar arrangement.

And this way I get to retain the use of inner wing pylons.

I decide to add representation of folding wings.  Even if not as a carrier aircraft, I imagine it as a "large light fighter".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:10:57 PM by dy031101 »

Online dy031101

Re: Trimotor and Coal Ramjet Cutlasses in FD Scale
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 03:22:39 PM »
I decided to add another aircraft to this project.

I have always been fascinated with the Lippisch P.13b project, and a couple of days ago it dawned on me that I do want to stick a "Cutlass cockpit" of sort onto it because 1.) radar and 2.) its line drawing suggests a high angle-of-attack on takeoff and/or landing, and the cockpit design of the F7U-3 seems to give the best forward visibility.  So I scaled up the Lippisch P.13b drawing to match the Cutlass and started from there.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:15:41 PM by dy031101 »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 04:17:12 PM »
So many Cutlass based/like concepts.  Highly interesting.  :smiley:

Online dy031101

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 03:16:05 AM »
The development so far:

(The wheels are just there for demonstration purposes.)

I figured that paved runways, something I'm not sure if skids would be good for, would be the norm by the 1950s.  Also I desire more ground clearance for missile carriage.  The rear end of each main landing gear housings contains a rocket motor for takeoff and acceleration towards the main ramjet's operating speed whereas the front end transitions from a gondola mounting a 30 x 113 mm revolver cannon.

I shortened the main landing gears, however, so that I won't have to extend the nose wheel any further to preserve angle of attack on takeoff and/or landing.  Is there anything I should pay attention to when doing so?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:24:25 PM by dy031101 »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 03:45:54 AM »

Online dy031101

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »
Everything was simple while still just inside of my head  :-X

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:42:57 PM by dy031101 »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 03:11:23 AM »

It always is... ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 05:43:23 AM »

It always is... ;D

Profound statement, can soooo relate to it.