Author Topic: North American F-100 Super Sabre  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Re: North American F-100 Super Sabre
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:39 AM »
F-100F instead of Canada's Electric Voodoo?
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 07:55:41 AM »
The IDF ones look just SO right, excellent stuff.
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »
I agree, the IDF ones hit the sweet spot with the airframe ........

Brent

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 02:11:05 PM »
I recently acquired a pair of Trumpeter 1:48th scale F-100 kits (One F-100D and one F-100F) and the kit includes a pod for the under fuselage stores pylon that I do not recognize.  The pod in question has a tiny propeller at the nose and looks a bit "swooshy" with a blunt/flat end.  The kit instructions identify this as some kind of fuel tank but I do not believe that to be the case.  The pod looks more like it has an ECM purpose most likely, or perhaps it is an early buddy refueling store but I am leaning towards the pod being some kind of early ECM pod. 

Anyone have any information on this thing?  I do not recall seeing anything like it strapped to an F-100 in any of my references and on-line searches. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2020, 02:43:34 AM »
Can you post a picture of the bits?

Would they look like this refuelling pod being fitted under the wing:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 02:47:39 AM »
Super Sabres loaded with Sidewinders:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 05:31:08 AM »
Just received my package from KitLinx which contained my Trumpeter F-100F kit and the kit instructions identify that swoopie looking store as an ALQ-31 ECM Pod.  So question is answered.  Definitely not a buddy refueling store.  :)

Can you post a picture of the bits?

See image at this link: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tru/images/tru_2840_parts4.jpg
Pod/Tank in question is located lower right just above the drop tank part.  Above the pod/tank halves are the practice bomb dispenser SUU-21 halves. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:26:16 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »
I was looking at the Israeli images the other day & imagining the F-100 in Czech markings (say if the 1948 coup failed).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 02:43:37 AM »
Just received my package from KitLinx which contained my Trumpeter F-100F kit and the kit instructions identify that swoopie looking store as an ALQ-31 ECM Pod.  So question is answered.  Definitely not a buddy refueling store.  :)

Hmmm...colour me dubious.  Of course, what's to stop you making it a refuelling pod?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 05:12:37 AM »
Hmmm...colour me dubious.  Of course, what's to stop you making it a refuelling pod?
I suppose you could turn it in to a refueling store but there is not a lot of volume within the store for the hose drum when compared to the Douglas Aero shape D-704 refueling store. 

Maybe in [shudder] 1:72nd scale it could pass muster for a refueling store but not in 1:48th scale.  :smiley: