Author Topic: Frigates, Destroyers, And Cruisers Ideas And Inspirations  (Read 22215 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Frigates, Destroyers, And Cruisers Ideas And Inspirations
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2019, 03:55:37 AM »
I wonder about something like those shown above but with the centre section fitted with UGM-27 Polaris missiles.  The Italian cruiser Giuseppe Garibaldi was fitted with four Polaris missile launchers located in the aft part of the ship (see below photos)

A nuclear powered cruiser such as a Long Beach-class with a dedicated Polaris missile fit out and acting as a surface equivalent to the SSBNs (would this make it a CBN?) would be an interesting build.  In fact, one proposal with 8 Polaris was considered:

Now make it even more dedicated with 16 missiles (equivalent to the George Washington-class and Ethan Allen-class SSBNs) would be an interesting whiff.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2019, 05:42:09 AM »
Strike Cruiser Mk 2.:

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »
During the 70s the Iran had a very ambitious naval program that (if my memory serves me correctly) at one point had a notional order book of three Invincible Class carriers, six Kidd class destroyers and twelve S class frigates.  Of these only the Kidds were ordered and then the last pair were cancelled before the Iranian revolution saw them acquired by the USN instead.

The S Class were interesting in that they were FFGs (as seen on https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/complete-information-analysis-on-elli-class-frigates-of-hellenic-navy.368266/page-2) with SM-1 and 5" guns.  I assume they were the Dutch Olympus / Tyne version, not the German LM2500 MTU one, which would have fit well with the Olymus powered Invincibles.

This got me thinking, what if they decided to go Dutch and UK only and not order the Kidds, maybe going for an improved, double ended Bristol instead.  Four Olypus in a COGAG arrangment, the Ikara replaced by a second Seadart, a helo hangar and flight deck aftof the existing Seadart.  This fleet is under construction when the Iranian revolution occurs meaning three Invincibles and six improved Bristols on the stocks in 1979......... ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:01:45 PM by Volkodav »

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »
I wonder about something like those shown above but with the centre section fitted with UGM-27 Polaris missiles.  The Italian cruiser Giuseppe Garibaldi was fitted with four Polaris missile launchers located in the aft part of the ship (see below photos)

Now make it even more dedicated with 16 missiles (equivalent to the George Washington-class and Ethan Allen-class SSBNs) would be an interesting whiff.
Shipboard ICBMs have been considered before and I do believe the considered opinion is that they wouldn't last long enough in any war to be a serious deterrent. The problem is they are too easy to find and too important not to take out in the very first instance of a war. Surface ships are simply too vulnerable to subs and ASW is just too difficult, especially nowadays, to invest in a nuclear deterrent that will be sunk in seconds after a war starts.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2019, 04:17:27 AM »
Bah!!  Reality sucks!

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2019, 10:43:50 PM »
Bah!!  Reality sucks!
Such has always been the case, of course...  ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »
I always thought ships did not have enough markings then I saw HMS Dragon:

Looks good - we should see more similar.

And what's best, you can get a kit in both 1/700 and 1/350:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:40:50 AM by GTX_Admin »