Author Topic: 1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: 1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2019, 12:30:02 AM »
Like those palms ... & you seem to be having fun putting different weapons & heads on the figures. ;) :D

Thanks! Yeah, I have a hard time deciding which head/helmet and weapons to use. I keep trying different combinations but think I finally decided on the one I want to use.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2019, 12:31:59 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2019, 12:32:18 AM »
Yes, Yes.. carry on, coming along nicely

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2019, 12:39:48 AM »
I haven't worked on the figures in a while. I did do a couple diorama bases though.

The base colors were hand painted with Vallejo Model Color acrylics. I then gave it a clear coat to protect the paint then gave it a wash of dark dirt. After the wash dried I gave it a dusting of MiG sand pigments.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2019, 01:18:12 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2019, 02:24:26 AM »
Indeed it is. And those palms were a great find. With posable fronds, every diorama should look distinct  :smiley:
"We're a suspect device if we do what we are told ..."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 04:21:44 AM »
Indeed it is. And those palms were a great find. With posable fronds, every diorama should look distinct  :smiley:

Thanks! I got the trees from a seller in Thailand.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 04:25:42 AM »
I actually started painting the minigunner figure. Only the khaki so far. Not too sure what camo I am going to do the uniform. I was originally going to do it in the OCP multicam but my painting skills are not even close enough to accomplishing that. I saw some Cross Delta multicam decals that I might try. Gotta be easier than painting it right?

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 05:35:46 AM »
I actually started painting the minigunner figure. Only the khaki so far. Not too sure what camo I am going to do the uniform. I was originally going to do it in the OCP multicam but my painting skills are not even close enough to accomplishing that. I saw some Cross Delta multicam decals that I might try. Gotta be easier than painting it right?

Nice work!

Good question on the painting vs decaling  :-\
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
I have some decal camo that I'm planning on using soon ... but you'll probably get to yours before I do. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2019, 03:18:37 AM »
I have some decal camo that I'm planning on using soon ... but you'll probably get to yours before I do. ::)

I don't have the decals yet. Still waiting for delivery.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2019, 03:26:07 AM »
While waiting on the multicam decals to arrive, I was doing some research on USMC gear and came across two photos on the USMC website.

The first photo of the US Marine in the desert MARPAT camo has his radio backpack in the US Army OCP multicam. Interesting combintaion. I have a 1/35 resin figure in a similar pose but with a bigger backpack.

I found a different backpack in my stash that is slightly closer to the one in the multicam. It has extra pouches on the sides though but will work and is close enough for me. The original one was already molded to the figure so I had to cut it off. The new one is test fitted with silly putty holding it on.

The second figure matches the pose in the other photo too so will do it in a similar manner.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
Got some of the camo decals today. First two photos are of the desert MARPAT and the last two are of the OCP multicam. The sheets are smaller than expected. Looks like I might need a couple more sheets each.

I didn't get any modeling done today as it was the first sunny day in about 5 days. I photographed a Pileated Woodpecker nest near by. There were 3 chicks and the parents would take turn feeding them. This is the male shown with the 3 chicks.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My webpage
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
In my experience with camo decals, you will need a lot of decal softener to get them to conform to the details on the underlying plastic. If you think x amount is enough, double it. Of course, test a small section first. Also, I used small strips and sections of decal; trying to get a large rectangle to conform to a leg or arm will drive you mad.