Author Topic: Tamiya P-74 Meteor, USAAF 1946. COMPLETED  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Tamiya P-74 Meteor, USAAF 1946
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »
You should be well pleased indeed AD!

That bird is shaping up to be a real stunner!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
Beyond how fine model is, which it is.  It captures "time".  Just know there is 1945 or 46 calendar on wall nearby.  Can sense it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 02:30:10 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 04:36:27 AM »
This is looking awesome! The gunpod looks great.

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »
So this very enjoyable build is done. 

Better pics tomorrow, but here is one shot and the backstory. 

As 1945 drew to a close the allied advance into German held-Europe had slowed to a crawl.  Germany’s late 1944 counter attack and the crushing allied defeat in the Ardennes combined with the historically bad weather experienced throughout Europe in 1945 had left the war almost in a stalemate. 

Germany continued V1 and V2 missile attacks, with Britain a main target, but allied held areas of France seeing heavy attacks too.  With rumors of new, more advanced German missiles in the works and new jet powered aircraft entering service the Allies were under pressure to match the German technological advances.   

With the allied efforts to produce an atomic weapon also experiencing difficulties after the tragic death of project scientist Robert Oppenheimer in an automobile accident, the allies were pinning their hopes on a fleet of jet aircraft and other advanced weapons to break the stalemate and bring the war to an end in 1946. 

The USAAF had been eager to match the RAF by bringing a jet fighter into service in 1945, but he Bell P-59 did not  live up to expectations so American hopes were pinned on the promising P-80 built by Lockheed.   

Germany had other plans though, and on the night of July 24th, 1945 German commandos landed via U-Boat on a remote section of the northern California coast.  Two weeks later, in the early hours of August 8th they managed to launch a devastating attack on Lockheed’s secretive Burbank factory, leaving he P-80 production line almost totally destroyed.

With no other suitable US jet aircraft ready for deployment, the US turned to Britain and ordered 140 Meteor F.3s.  The first aircraft were diverted from RAF orders and rushed into service with the USAAF in January 1946, designated the P-74 Meteor in US service. 

The first US squadron to operate the Meteor was the 61st Fighter Squadron in early 1946, replacing the P-47 Thunderbolt.  Meteors of the 61st performed well during the last year of the war and were credited with destroying a large number of V1 and V2 missile launch sites.  Equipped with 6 20mm cannon (four in the nose, two in a removable underbelly cannon pack) and 5-inch HVAR rockets, the P-74 was also an effective tank buster in during the Allied push into Germany in Spring 1946.

This particular model depicts P-74 s/n 462111 flown by Captain McCauley, who was credited with the first US jet-on-jet aerial kill in May 1946 when he shot down an Me262 over the German border near Cologne.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
Story of events surrounding P-74 bring gazing upon build into even better focus.
Lot to absorb in model and story.    :-*

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 10:11:54 PM »
Beautiful build & credible back story. All-round winner! 8) :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 01:42:05 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 02:50:59 AM »
As promised, here are a few better quality pics.  This was a very enjoyable build.  Just what I needed after the last one!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Tamiya P-74 Meteor, USAAF 1946. COMPLETED
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 03:29:25 AM »
Very nice Nick   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 05:33:40 AM »
Very nice. Great backstory too  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 07:43:11 AM »
That's a magnificent Meteor and a gripping back story to go right along with it!

Outstanding, AD!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »
Beautiful build & credible back story. All-round winner! 8) :icon_alabanza:
What he said; a very credible back story.  Though I could see the IJN using their I-400 class submarines to mount an air attack against Lockheed's plant from an unexpected direction as a backup to the German attack.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 09:41:51 PM »
Or even a disastrous, accidental fire made worse by inappropriate firefighting techniques, cant capsize and sink a factory in the same manner as an along side ocean liner but maybe water on a fuel fire spreading instead of supressing the blaze.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2019, 06:27:59 AM »
Was well pleased to see this fantastic model featured over on the Aircraft Resource Center.

Linky

Well done, AD!

Brian da Basher