Author Topic: Mega-carrier  (Read 5381 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Mega-carrier
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
For those who follow the details:
"tankmodeler" steered me in this direction.  Proceeding with those hanger deck height and freeboard adjustments in mind.  Raised hanger deck up and reduced height of elevator opening from 51 ft to 36.5 ft.  Like the effect.
No sweat for B-29 27 ft 9 in tail to clear.  Even B-50 32 ft 8 in tail clears.  Ya know - gotta plan ahead when designing large expensive carriers.
Need to reduce stern opening accordingly.  Freeboard to flight deck is ~125 ft.  Figure given for fully laden Nimitz class is ~57 ft.
After close look at hull a .25 inch bottom cut is max feasible.  Which is 14.6 scale ft.  Be near proportional to Nimitz size scaling and all that jazz.

see attched ---
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:21:02 PM by finsrin »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »
I've got to agree, I like the effect too, Admiral!

Brian da Basher

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »
That's a Carrier!  8)  8)  8)

Offline finsrin

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
Thank you,,,  is paradigm shift from 1/72.
Another day at ship yard.  Removed that .25" from bottom of hull.  Is gone now.  Inspite of height loss, more look at it more realistic heavy mega-carrier is in appearance from different viewing angles.
Raising hanger deck and reducing freeboard were right moves suggested by "tankmodeler". 
Considering to or not to redo bow.  Stay with hurrican bow or change to nonhurricane with 40mm AA guns etc in front.  Exposed beams supporting front of flight deck.  Have be careful not to screw-up bow.  Needs to be studdied before deciding to do or not to do.

Attached combo before-after pictures of freeboard lowering cut ---

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 09:41:44 PM »
At that size keep the bow as is & just pop a twin/quad-40mm tub on either side of the leading edge of the flight deck & a couple out the front (with hatches back into the ship, of course) below deck level. She's way big enough to cope with that.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »
Looks better with that trim, Admiral!

Now that your mega-carrier sits lower, it's easier for me to imagine a busy flight deck with lots of air ops going on.

Thanks for the great updates! I'm enjoying the ride immensely!

Brian da Basher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 12:08:09 AM »
This project has me pondering something similar, maybe for the upcoming "Floaty" GB.  I've been looking at one of the 1/350 Littoral Combat Ships as the base for a 1/700 amphibious assault ship with a compliment of V-22s, CH-53s and AH-1Ws (no one makes F-35Bs or AH-1Zs in /700 yet).

Looking forward to this build progressing.  Looks cool so far.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 01:35:22 AM »
Bill, are going to go island-less like the USS United States (CVA-58)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_United_States_(CVA-58)
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • ‹ber Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
This project has me pondering something similar, maybe for the upcoming "Floaty" GB.  I've been looking at one of the 1/350 Littoral Combat Ships as the base for a 1/700 amphibious assault ship with a compliment of V-22s, CH-53s and AH-1Ws (no one makes F-35Bs or AH-1Zs in /700 yet).

You might see if anyone makes 1/700 Harriers to add to the firepower.

Addendum:  I just checked, 1/700 Harriers are available from both Trumpeter and Orange Hobby.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:04:01 AM by elmayerle »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »
Alright,,, going to fiddle with placing 40mm tubs.  Avoid potential disaster of doing too much with bow.

Was a - take pause here goes moment.  Trim did work.  More realistic for placing with other flotilla ships.  Is "realistic" a realistic term for this ?

Littoral combat ship becomes amphibious assult is great concept.  You have plenty time to assess what model and parts to gather before GB start.

Done some island contemplation.  Going with conventional island.  Funnel size/capacity/footprint must approximate OOB cuz is already sized for boilers onboard.  Bridge portion(s) to be from 1/700 donor.

For that LCS conversion finding 1/700 Harriers on Ebay.  Must be elsewhere too.

BTW - Bottom of hull from first cut can be hull for waterline 1/72 gunboat.  Cut off stern where taper starts.  Attached pictures of it upside & downside with favorite gunboat.  Or maybe 1/700 ship.  Something for another thread....

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:53:03 AM by finsrin »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 04:46:26 PM »
For those liking peek inside hull. 
>>  Stern opening filler in clamps drying and with clamps removed.  Brings up to same level as hanger deck which continues to stern.
>>  Kit includes decking for hanger.  Vertical bars inside hull are what hanger deck sits on.  Since raised hanger door threshold with plastic bar stock; am raising decking same amount by using same bars to raise support for deck.  Lucked out to have correct size plastic bar stock on hand.

This one part of build is simple.  See attached ---

Offline bluedonkey99

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
    • Kampfgruppe144 (1/144 News & Modelling)
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
Bill, are going to go island-less like the USS United States (CVA-58)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_United_States_(CVA-58)

with a deck of this size, there is a strong case for following the HMS Queen Elizabeth and having one or two satellite flight control/deck control towers?

Offline Brian da Basher

• Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »
To me, Serious Clampage© is always the sign of an amazing build!

Brian da Basher

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »

Addendum:  I just checked, 1/700 Harriers are available from both Trumpeter and Orange Hobby.

This is a great idea! I immediately thought of the tri hull version of the LCS. Hmmmm, much to ponder....
Iím looking forward to seeing your ideas.

The adjustments youíve made look great. The stern in particular looks much better. Before it looked like it was riding too high in the water. Much better now. Will you be changing the shape of the hanger openings back to four rounded corners? Either way will look cool.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:31:32 AM by kerick »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »

This is a great idea! I immediately thought of the tri hull version of the LCS. Hmmmm, much to ponder....
Iím looking forward to seeing your ideas.

Me too,,, looking forward to seeing your ideas.
Thread for scaling ships to 1/700 would be great.   Like to share concepts, lessons learned and such there.  How about it ?
Find this 1/700 scaleoramaing most interesting.  Are vintage 1/5xx box scale carriers I could have started with which is arguably wiser move.