Author Topic: F-23A photo recon version  (Read 5113 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • ‹ber Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: F-23A photo recon version
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »
SLAR on an LO bird is not impossible.  TACIT BLUE showed that it could be done as it was a testbed for the Assault Breaker radar system that later developed into JSTARS.  I also know of some LO recce drone concepts that carried both emitting and passive sensor systems.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »
Just a leetle stretch! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 11:25:04 PM »
SLAR on an LO bird is not impossible.  TACIT BLUE showed that it could be done as it was a testbed for the Assault Breaker radar system that later developed into JSTARS.  I also know of some LO recce drone concepts that carried both emitting and passive sensor systems.
Plus, of course, there are radars that can know a LO aircraft is out there, but can't target it. In an environment where they know you're there, just not exactly where, you can radiate in small doses and on frequencies that they might not be monitoring and still stay hidden. After all, the new LINK 16 communication system radiates constantly but all over the spectrum such that you can't get a fix on it.

But, certainly, planning on doing primarily passive optical recce and SIGINT is a very good plan.

Programs like MS Paint and the like can produce perfectly adequate graphics for decals, as long as you're willing to put in the occasionally excruciatingly frustrating time to do anything moderately complex in some of those programs.

May I suggest "Paint.net" as a free bitmap graphics and photo editing program? Easy to use, but has some advanced features such as layers and some filter techniques that make it pretty powerful for day-to-day editing and creation functions. For simple graphic shapes and the like, it a good choice.

Paul

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 02:29:50 AM »
Looks like Iím behind the times on my knowledge of radars and such. Iíve read where the F-35 has some electronic recon capabilities built into each aircraft.
Thanks for all the info. Iíll try the paint.net and study up on elint

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • ‹ber Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 03:45:39 AM »
AESA radar on F-35 has some interesting potentials for ELINT.  Too, the DAS system has demonstrated some good visual recce abilities in addition to what the sensors for the EOTS can pick up.

Offline kerick

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »
It appears more and more that there is a lot more to the F-35 than the usual fighter plane stuff. Not trying to start a whole discussion on it but it seems thatís another topic to read up on. BTW thanks for all the input.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 02:56:43 AM »
It appears more and more that there is a lot more to the F-35 than the usual fighter plane stuff.

Indeed, that is the case.  I've used the analogy before that comparing the F-35 to other, older platforms on traditional features such as speed, turning ability etc is a bit like comparing a '80s era walkman to a modern iPhone.  Sure, they can both play music but the iPhone also allows you to make calls, surf the web, watch movies, do all sorts of things with various apps whereas the walkman just plays music.  Most, if not all of the F-35's capabilities are less obvious.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kerick

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »
I said the inlets would be easy....I lied. I'll try some more tomorrow, this time with beer.

Offline kerick

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
Some progress at last! Once I found a piece of plastic to cut the new inlets out of things got easier. I rummaged around in the two drawers of found objects I have until I came across this cap for some old spray bottle. Tough part was judging the shape of the teeth on the edge of the inlet. Once I made one I had to make another mirror image of the first. The plastic was brittle so I had to be careful. Lots of file work.

Then I cut out the old inlets.

And boxed in the new openings.

Hopefully I can glue them in place and start the putty work tonight.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 01:13:57 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kerick

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
Some more progress! Let the PSR begin in full force!

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 01:56:57 AM »
Hmmmm really interesting, Kerick...

Antonio

Online Robomog

• Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Nice use of found objects on the inlets and expertly shaped looking forward to the end result

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline kerick

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »
I sanded down the Bondo Putty and added a layer of Perfect Plastic Putty to fill minor imperfections. Not much to show for now, just lots of dust. For the fuselage section I'm going to try covering as much as possible with sheet plastic to cut down on PSR. I'm considering cutting out the flaps, ailerons and slats and re-positioning them. I've found some pics of YF-23s on the ground with these surfaces dropped.
Thanks for the encouraging comments!

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »
This is coming along great!   Loved the F-23 and can't wait to see this one done.