Author Topic: F-23A photo recon version  (Read 5040 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • ‹ber Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: F-23A photo recon version
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2019, 01:38:04 PM »
What would a stealthy fuel tank really look like?
Well, something like the main body of the AGM-137A, but with either the front end mirrored to the back end or the existing back end closed out with a reduced-size version of the front end is a definite possibility.

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2019, 09:20:02 PM »
Iíll look that up! The F-35 has some sort of pod that fits on the centerline position that might give a clue. Although that means some sculpting will be required. Thatís ok, I enjoy that part the most!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2019, 10:58:05 PM »
What would a stealthy fuel tank really look like?
Well, something like the main body of the AGM-137A, but with either the front end mirrored to the back end or the existing back end closed out with a reduced-size version of the front end is a definite possibility.

I've seen those drop tanks that shapeways has for the F-35, I was thinking of asking the master-maker if he would change the appearance so it looked like a smaller F-35 forward fuselage in section (if it works for the fuselage, it should work for a tank). Even then I'm not sure why the bulk of the tank is so far forward.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • ‹ber Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2019, 12:46:29 AM »
Depending on which stations the tanks were carried on, I could see the bulk of the tank being forward for area rule reasons.

As I said, using http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-137.html and the three-view there as a guide, split the airframe just in front of the wings and mirror the front part to the back for an LO drop tank.  Though you could probably get away with just removing the wings and tail surfaces and using that shape for the tank.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2019, 11:29:43 PM »
Iíll look that up! The F-35 has some sort of pod that fits on the centerline position that might give a clue. Although that means some sculpting will be required. Thatís ok, I enjoy that part the most!
The F-35 drop tanks are NOT designed to be stealthy. They are oddly designed for, as was mentioned, area ruling and other aerodynamic reasons. Not stealth. They are awful for stealth.

You would definitely want something that looks like the AGM-137 but possibly with a nod to the area ruling of the drop tanks, if you want it to be used stealthily. Of course, you could do as the USAF is doing and assuming that you use the non stealthy tanks in transit and drop them for the stealth part of the mission, in which case they can be any shape you like.

Paul

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2019, 01:19:15 AM »
Sort of like what I used here on my F-35B

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2019, 12:52:12 AM »
Thunderstorms in the area today so no outdoor projects to distract me. Hopefully I will make the stealth fuel tanks today. I'm going to pattern them after the AGM-158 JASSM (Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile).