Author Topic: F-23A photo recon version  (Read 5854 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Re: F-23A photo recon version
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2019, 06:02:31 AM »
I tend to use more styrene than putty when I do my projects. I've learnt that pre-bending styrene with a heat gun to the approximate size/bend (usually a little bigger) I can sand it down to what I want. Any little defects I find afterwards then gets a swipe of putty but is usually very minimal..

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 09:07:11 PM »
I tend to use more styrene than putty when I do my projects. I've learnt that pre-bending styrene with a heat gun to the approximate size/bend (usually a little bigger) I can sand it down to what I want. Any little defects I find afterwards then gets a swipe of putty but is usually very minimal..

Sure beat my "light a candle and curse the (stretched) sprue" method.

Thanks for sharing those tips, Robert!

Brian da Basher

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2019, 07:59:42 AM »
I got back from vacation in Bahamas and Disney World. Had to go and give a bunch of my money to the mouse! Actually my wife and best friend conspired to force me to celebrate my 60th birthday. Magnificent time but still recovering from the sunburn.
So I finally sanded down the last layer of putty. Came out pretty good so I brushed on some paint as primer. A couple of spots showed up but nothing I can't deal with. Not much to take pics of right now but it looks like I better figure out a paint scheme real quick.

Offline kerick

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
I hand painted on some grey as a primer and puttied a couple of small spots. Real life is pretty busy these days so progress has been slow. Now that the weather is warming up I might be able to bring out the airbrush in the garage and do some decent painting.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2019, 10:55:41 PM »
Real life is pretty busy these days so progress has been slow.

Happens every time you get back from vacation   ;D ;D ;D

Offline kerick

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2019, 12:10:09 AM »
So true! My son is getting married soon so lots of distraction going on there also!
I also have projects lined up in my brain and I keep thinking of new ones!

Offline kerick

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2019, 08:45:19 AM »
I still want to build the sensor port under the lengthened part of the fuselage. I'm going to take a hint from the F-35 EOTS port under the nose.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:50:09 AM by kerick »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
So much of heavy work is done, am sure you will finish it well in due time.

Offline kerick

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2019, 09:00:51 AM »
Thanks!!

Offline kerick

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
The last stage of PSR is complete!!!  :thumbsup:
I attached the control surfaces back to their original places but in a lowered position. The white plastic is material I added to bring them into a shape that fit properly in a lowered position.

Now I have to build the sensor windows like the F-35 EOTS, just bigger.

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
Why bigger?  The F-35 EOTS is plenty powerful as is and should suffice.

Offline kerick

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2019, 02:18:37 AM »
I've been working on the sensor windows lately. Started with some large plastic sequins.

I glued several layers of plastic together and cut some angled surfaces. I CA glued sequins to the surfaces and trimmed to fit. I had to replace the sequin parts a couple of time until I got it right.  :banghead:

I think it sits too high right now. I'll try to sand it down so it's less high than wide. It's just sitting in place right now until painting is done. At least I got the surfaces presentable as I ran out of usable CA glue. I know its bigger than the F-35 EOTS but I'm saying this is an earlier version that's a little more bulky.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2019, 03:42:01 AM »
@Kerick - yeah, have to agree with your observations on the height of the sensor windows.  Height aside, it definitely looks great.  Also an excellent work-around to resolving a problem.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2019, 03:49:05 AM »
I wouldn’t bother referencing EOTS at all.  Just call this part of the dedicated sensor package.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:33 AM »
IMHO is a bit big all over kerick, at least from what I've seen up close