Author Topic: 1/48 Sea Beau  (Read 2602 times)

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
Re: 1/48 Sea Beau
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 01:02:52 AM »
Oooooo! Me likey!
 :-*

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 02:24:25 AM »
Looking good so far.  One question for you though, what about your wing guns?  In the interest of weight-savings would there been wing guns.  Since there are four 20mm Hispano's in the fuselage would the .303s be necessary for the torpedo attack/anti-shipping role? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 03:24:07 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Robomog

• Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 06:36:45 AM »
This is shaping up nicely, my preferred scale is god's own 1/72 scale but I have to admit the bigger scales allow much more scope for detail.  Like the concept too Mr Wombat.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 07:31:45 PM »
Thanks, guys! :smiley:

@ Jeffry: In Reply #4 I mentioned losing the wing guns & have since discovered that, more often than not, the Coastal Command TF Mk.X Beaufighters (Torbeaus) had their wing guns removed & the aircraft relied only on their heavier 20mm armament to save weight. So, yeah, as a weight-saving & space-for-the-hydraulics measure, the wing guns are going ... I just haven't puttied up the gaps, yet. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 03:49:39 PM »
It appears I'm not the only person to build a folding-wing Beaufighter.

Marcel du Long sets a high standard to aim for:

http://www.marceldulong.com/plastics/raaf-target-towing-bristol-beaufighter
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
I hate those, "Slam, cop that done it before" pix. it is gorgeous though.

Time for you to put your own stamp on this idea. Plus I actually think you wing fold placement is more practical as he oil cooler is still integral to the wing

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »
Time for you to put your own stamp on this idea. Plus I actually think you wing fold placement is more practical as he oil cooler is still integral to the wing

Workin' on it! ... Actually, I'm in the study avoiding being subjected to "Home & Away" ... But I will be working on it after 2000hrs! ;)

I considered where the wing fold went quite carefully before I made a decision. The major points for its location are (1) to reduce plumbing for the oil coolers & (2) to allow the outer wing to fold down over the lower wing to reduce the height of the aircraft. The penalty for that is a slightly wider foot-print but it's not that much wider than the tail-planes & I believe the lower height to be more important than taking up slightly more deck space.

Offline KiwiZac

• Who said Kiwis can't fly...though this one can organise for a kit of the Fletcher FU24 to be produced!
  • The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 05:45:23 AM »
Man, those panel lines... :(
"He's more real-world now than whif..."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:59 AM »

Yeah! just horrible -- and German style tires (tyres)   ???  not seen any photos of any Brit aircraft that had tires like that during the war.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »

Yeah! just horrible -- and German style tires (tyres)   ???  not seen any photos of any Brit aircraft that had tires like that during the war.

Can't say I'm a fan of the over-worked panel lines but the tyres look like the kit supplied parts & the resin bulgies I have.

Actually, it's the tyres that are concerning me with my build at the moment.

What I have are the regular Beaufighter tyres, which are the round-walled, soft-sided tyres used for land operations. I'm wondering whether I should find some straighter-sided, hard-wall tyres for naval operations & I've had a bit of a look but everything I can find for naval aircraft of a similar vintage (right up to the Tracker) have a smaller diameter than the Beaufighter tyres.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I'll just have a go at modifying the kit wheels, unless I get lazy & just go with the kit wheels as they are (I won't be using the resin bulgies on this build because the bulge is very wide & shows the tyres must have been quite soft).

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 09:28:04 AM »

but the tyres look like the kit supplied parts & the resin bulgies I have.

not sure why (see below)

Actually, it's the tyres that are concerning me with my build at the moment.

What I have are the regular Beaufighter tyres, which are the round-walled, soft-sided tyres used for land operations. I'm wondering whether I should find some straighter-sided, hard-wall tyres for naval operations & I've had a bit of a look but everything I can find for naval aircraft of a similar vintage (right up to the Tracker) have a smaller diameter than the Beaufighter tyres.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I'll just have a go at modifying the kit wheels, unless I get lazy & just go with the kit wheels as they are (I won't be using the resin bulgies on this build because the bulge is very wide & shows the tyres must have been quite soft).

What diameter are they Guy ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:39:14 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
23mm or a touch over 7/8"

So, converted to RW; 80.5cm or 31.4"(+/-)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:42:50 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
Sorry, I can't help there, I forgot this is 1/48 and I was going to suggest using something in that scale if it was a 1/72 kit. For my Sabre Mosquito I had made up some wheels which were to be as big as a B-25 wheel

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
All good! :smiley:

Mind you, the photo you posted is good! It made me realise how over-scale the upper undercarriage parts are on the kit, which works in my favour, as I don't have to bulk them up for naval op's! 8)