Author Topic: Throwing one back - building 'Gerti'  (Read 517 times)

Offline Robomog

• Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: Throwing one back - building 'Gerti'
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 09:34:54 PM »
 Hi all

Having a bit if a mare with the painting as it is unusually hot here in The UK, I'm using Tamiya acrylics but the paint is drying almost as soon as its leaving the brush  :icon_twisted:

Someone has suggested adding a retarder so I will give that a try.

The progress so far if you zoom in you will see the patchy finish ................

by Robomog, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 04:05:47 AM »
That's looking like it's on the way to a superb finish.

My problem painting in hot weather is the fan. I can't paint when it's on and anything over 85F makes a fan necessary.

I'm very much enjoying watching your progress, Mog!

Brian da Basher

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 04:11:30 AM »
Maybe the patchy paint work can be explained away as normal wear on the paint while carrying and launching your V-1? 

What is the retarder that you will use with your acrylics?  I have read some where that some folks use Windex or Alcohol as a means to thin the paints.  Would this also be useful as a retarder?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Robomog

• Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 06:01:15 AM »
Hi chaps

Brian - i think the photograph is more flattering than it appears to my mk1 eyeballs but thank you for your words of encouragement, Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place when painting!

Jeffry - I too have heard that using Windex or isopropyl alcohol will act as a retarder but cannot get hold of either, as i am having particular trouble using Tamiya paints I have ordered a bottle Tamiya retarder. However in the meantime I have purchased some artists acrylic retarder from our local Hobbycraft. Initial tests look promising but I need to do a test on a model sized batch to be sure.

Since the photograph was taken I managed to get another slightly better coat of paint on the Wellington so maybe a little weathering as you say and a coat of matt varnish will do the business. I will let you know how I get on with the retarder later.

Thanks all

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:09:05 AM by Robomog »