Author Topic: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors  (Read 3516 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Re: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 02:08:22 AM »
Thanks Evan, all your help has been really appreciated ---

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 02:16:14 AM »
Couple of interesting things about the V-22 and the A-10, they're practically the same length, the horizontal tail plane are almost the same span and have similar chord lengths and the fins are very similar. I'm going to keep the A-10 tail plane but use the V-22 fins, all I had to do was reposition the tail plane from the bottom of the A-10 fuselage and attach it to the top side (top pic).

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 02:17:54 AM »
These pics show how it will look once it's finished. What I've been doing is working on one side first, figure out what problems are arising, then I'll do the other side.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »
Right now I'm trying to decide how the sponson stub wing will attach to the fuselage, I could just trim the end to match the fuselage or I could get a little technical and do it like how I've seen airliners do it. I've read that the most efficient way aerodynamically, is to have the mating surface perpendicular to the wing spar center line, the airliners have a square-ish wing box which the wing chord butts up to. This makes the perpendicular inter-face. I'm thinking of something along the same lines. What I'll do is have the box side angled outwards at the top because the stub wing is anhedral but then have it continue past the underside of the stub wing a couple of mm's and then turn it downwards so it then goes vertical to the ground. The idea then is to have a couple of under fuselage pylons.  The pylons that I cut off the C-130 tanks would work quite well here.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 04:39:13 AM »
I always greatly enjoy your play-by-play Robert. Your engineering skills are a wonder to behold.

Both are fantastic concepts but I'm especially liking that AV-22 gunship!

Great stuff!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 05:42:41 AM »
Cheers BdB ------

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
oh, this is so cool!!

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
Thanks Gingie

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »
Summer construction season has started at the airport so model building might slow down a bit for a while. But it's the May long weekend and I'll try to get some things done to this project. Mainly it will be repairing the fuselage where it had got broken when the A-10 came down from where it was hanging on the ceiling. Plus the two areas where I have removed the engines and switched the tail planes from bottom to top. Need to get these all finalized before I can progress to other details.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 12:56:19 AM »
Well things haven't gone to plan, been doing lots of work around the property instead of model building, problem of wanting to do the acreage thing I suppose.

But I have done some to the AV-22.

I had cut out sections of the fuselage to remove the large wing root fairings but when I went to put in some replacement styrene, to my horror, the whole rear end of the fuselage broke off  ---    :o

For the repair I decided to remove the wing from the top of the fuselage, which came off a whole lot easier than what I thought it would (I don't think I'll use the liquid cement I used when it comes to re-gluing it back on though). On the plus side, it made repairing the fuselage much easier to do. On top of that I decided to lengthen the fuselage by half an inch.

Here's where I'm at now. all the holes and gaps I'm filling in are done, and the gap you see in the top is where the rear end of the V-22 wing fairing will fit.  I can now visualize how my new wing stub connection to the fuselage better so things are now progressing along quite nicely.

In the side view here, you can see very well the different top and bottom fuselage profile lines. Usually on the A-10, the bottom line is parallel with the ground, but making the top line parallel, tilts the forward fuselage profile line down to give it quite a good cockpit step.

EDIT: added the photos I thought I had attached.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:39:21 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
Thanks Gingie

I picked up a 48th A-10 at TORCAN because of this!

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »
Thanks Gingie

I picked up a 48th A-10 at TORCAN because of this!

You're going to do one of these in 1/48th ?      8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
Some progress just recently, got the other sponson built and the fuselage has had a round of PSR.
But I'm going to try something now, I'll attempt to make the flaps work ------- they need to be multi-posable so they look right with the nacelles in various positions.   

I had to abandon a couple of ideas I had, one idea was to have three pylons under the fuselage (one on each sponson and one on the centerline). But because of how I want the weapons bay doors to work (they will have RP tubes in the doors), I found that the doors would hit whatever was on the pylons when they were opened for RP firing. Likewise with the idea of how I wanted to attach the wing stubs to the fuselage, interfered with the doors again. So back to the original idea of just attaching the stubs to the fuselage and use some wing root fairings. So it will have just the centerline pylon now.

Another idea I had was where to mount the GAU-8 --- originally I wanted to put it in an under-wing-stub semi-recessed pod, but because of where I have to place the sponsons (close to the fuselage) so that the RP's and Hellfires can be fired during a head-on attack, meant I might have to abandon the GAU-8 --- or place it in the front of one of the sponsons. I haven't decided yet.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:16:05 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 01:46:57 AM »
Another idea I had was where to mount the GAU-8 --- originally I wanted to put it in an under-wing-stub semi-recessed pod, but because of where I have to place the sponsons (close to the fuselage) so that the RP's and Hellfires can be fired during a head-on attack, meant I might have to abandon the GAU-8 --- or place it in the front of one of the sponsons. I haven't decided yet.

Given the GAU-8 is over 6m long, are you sure it will fit as described?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:28 AM »

Given the GAU-8 is over 6m long, are you sure it will fit as described?

The idea is just this part would be in the sponson, the drum would be stowed in the fuselage