Author Topic: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors  (Read 370 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Re: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 02:08:22 AM »
Thanks Evan, all your help has been really appreciated ---

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 02:16:14 AM »
Couple of interesting things about the V-22 and the A-10, they're practically the same length, the horizontal tail plane are almost the same span and have similar chord lengths and the fins are very similar. I'm going to keep the A-10 tail plane but use the V-22 fins, all I had to do was reposition the tail plane from the bottom of the A-10 fuselage and attach it to the top side (top pic).

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 02:17:54 AM »
These pics show how it will look once it's finished. What I've been doing is working on one side first, figure out what problems are arising, then I'll do the other side.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »
Right now I'm trying to decide how the sponson stub wing will attach to the fuselage, I could just trim the end to match the fuselage or I could get a little technical and do it like how I've seen airliners do it. I've read that the most efficient way aerodynamically, is to have the mating surface perpendicular to the wing spar center line, the airliners have a square-ish wing box which the wing chord butts up to. This makes the perpendicular inter-face. I'm thinking of something along the same lines. What I'll do is have the box side angled outwards at the top because the stub wing is anhedral but then have it continue past the underside of the stub wing a couple of mm's and then turn it downwards so it then goes vertical to the ground. The idea then is to have a couple of under fuselage pylons.  The pylons that I cut off the C-130 tanks would work quite well here.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 04:39:13 AM »
I always greatly enjoy your play-by-play Robert. Your engineering skills are a wonder to behold.

Both are fantastic concepts but I'm especially liking that AV-22 gunship!

Great stuff!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 05:42:41 AM »
Cheers BdB ------

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
oh, this is so cool!!

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
Thanks Gingie

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »
Summer construction season has started at the airport so model building might slow down a bit for a while. But it's the May long weekend and I'll try to get some things done to this project. Mainly it will be repairing the fuselage where it had got broken when the A-10 came down from where it was hanging on the ceiling. Plus the two areas where I have removed the engines and switched the tail planes from bottom to top. Need to get these all finalized before I can progress to other details.