Author Topic: THE REVISED AUSTRALASIAN DEFENCE FORCE AIR CAPABILITY  (Read 1452 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: THE REVISED AUSTRALASIAN DEFENCE FORCE AIR CAPABILITY
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
elamyerle - noted - the kit used for the Harrier is an older kit with only 6 wing points - not 8
Good enough reason; I'm looking to combine that extra point per wing with an AV-8B+ to do a Harrier FGR.11 in FAA markings, at least, (thinking 804 Sqdn) and may do more, including a RAN one.

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
Further to the NIMITZ issue, being the lead ship of the class, the NIMITZ is one of the older ships in USN service.  Another advantage of the RAN having this class is that aircrew would be familiar with the ships of that class, and could cross-deck onto another (US) NIMITZ class ship seamlessly, something perhaps not as easy if we had purchased KITTY HAWK.

I don't want to bog the discussion down guys - all I wanted to do is do the physical builds for my enjoyment.     ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:20:23 PM by ScranJ51 »
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
More teasers:

Seen in 2 OCU markings.......

JSF04 by David Freeman, on Flickr    ???

And even more interesting - 3 SQN colours......

Angel-5 by David Freeman, on Flickr   :o

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 05:31:19 AM »
If only.  Super builds and ideas,  can't pick a favourite they are all so good.  Busy guy eh?
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »
The total build took almost a month.  Collecting the models was reasonably easy, but then i decided to add the 2 OCU F-15 at the last minute, and it was last build, along with the Apache.

Still have an NH-90 and Chinook in the stash - they will be built and on display eventually - I just may not show them here.

Along with the three teasers (all built previous to this idea) are one or two more that could be used to continue the story - not sure if I will or not.

Hope you all enjoy the builds

:smiley:

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:39 PM »
Yes, enjoyed it very much!

Have had my own evolving ADF for many years but managed to build stuff all and only ever completed one model that has since been wrecked in a move. Good on you completing so much especially in so little time.

Offline KiwiZac

• Who said Kiwis can't fly...though this one can organise for a kit of the Fletcher FU24 to be produced!
  • The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 05:11:37 AM »
I was so impressed with my initial scan of your posts that I made a decision to wait until I had time to properly read through and enjoy each post. Now that I've been able to enjoy it over a proper coffee I've been able to do so.

I love it. The unit breakdowns, the aircraft loadouts, the deals...all of it. A fantastic blend of physical and written work! Top among my highlights of your project is the camouflage chosen for the RAAF fighters - I love the fade effect! They look superb! Speaking of which, I love the Fanta Can Hawk and seeing Australian Army camo on the AH-1. The Prowler vignette is delightful, and the F-15D from 2OCU took my breath away.

I do want to know what each air arm did for transport and maritime aircraft in your timeline, as well as what helicopters we got for the RNZAF. Some fascinating options out there!

The total build took almost a month.
Recently I've struggled to complete one build in two or three months!!! Bravo!
"He's more real-world now than whif..."

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
KiwiZac (and Volkadav),

Thank you.  First to the build issue.  I'm retired but normally only spend every third weekend or so building - but I do batch builds, normally of 4 to 6 models at a time.  For this project I built in batches.

Batch 1 - all the F-16s and the 2 Hawks.

Batch 2 - the Navy fast jets.

Batch 3 - Other Navy including the Sea Hawk.

Batch 4 - Strike Eagles and F-111's.

Batch 5 - Army Helos and fixed wing.

Batch 6 - the rest.

As per the Transport and Maritime question - I'll reply to that a little later.  The intent here is to only discuss physical models made.  Having said that I have built (previously) a C-130 and P-3C.  There is a 1/144th C-17 in the stash, as well as 1/72nd CH-47 and NH-90.

With regards to NZ Helo's - I'd suggest my answer would PROBABLY be that the RNZAF purchased AH-1, AH-64 and S-70's in limited numbers as part of the Aussie buy - but I'll think a little longer on that.

I'm unlikely to add any additional NZDF models.

There are several subtle differences in some models.  You may note the 1SQN aircrew have yellow helmets and the 6SQN blue - as per the tail flashes. 

Actually - almost every squadron the crews have different colour helmets to match SQN insignia.  Only OCU crews (and 2FTS) wear white helmets.

The Side roundels on the Strike Eagles are different sizes - allowing other crews to know exactly which squadron the aircraft is from at a glance.
Strike eagles by David Freeman, on Flickr

The F-16s have the lower stabilisers painted in different colours - Blue for 3SQN, Black for 76, Green for 79, Yellow for the OCU bird - again allowing identification of the squadron at a glance.
Vipers by David Freeman, on Flickr

For the Kiwi's - the F-5, RF-5 and F-20 are all different colour mixes - again - identification of Squadron (and role) at a glance.
Fast Kiwi's-02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Dave
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:23:57 PM by ScranJ51 »

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »
Those are lovely little details and make this project all the more impressive :smiley:

Also, your description of the build process is encouraging for us who are daunted by the idea of tackling our stash - in the end, it doesn't require all your time to get fantastic results!

Online Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:29 PM »
Those are lovely little details and make this project all the more impressive :smiley:

Also, your description of the build process is encouraging for us who are daunted by the idea of tackling our stash - in the end, it doesn't require all your time to get fantastic results!

Well put, Kemola!

Those are some fantastic models and it's a real treat to scroll through them.

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
As stated earlier, my intention was to only discuss the capability/aircraft I had modeled.  Any other discussion would be better placed elsewhere, so I'll cut the discussion (without aircraft pics) to the Scenarios area and continue some discussion and answer KiwiZac's questions there.

Dave

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
As to "batch builds", I can do this because of my set-up in a shared craft/modelling room.

Here you see the workbench and the ledge above, with the current (6 or 7) builds lined up.  Behind those are the next batch.

Bench-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

The advantage is I can do work on one model, move to the next, then the next etc., and finally return to the first build and continue the process.

And as to the stash, here is part of it (less than half)

Stash-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

(you may notice a number of Red Arrows Hawk kits - look out for a Red Arrows flight line doi sometime in the future   ;)  )
and some more

Stash-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

I'm also toying around with display options

Troops-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

with lights

Troops-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

And another teaser - just finished

F117-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

F117-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Cheers

Dave

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
Room is too neat, too orderly, too clean.  ;)

Offline KiwiZac

• Who said Kiwis can't fly...though this one can organise for a kit of the Fletcher FU24 to be produced!
  • The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 06:04:11 AM »
Aussie Nighthawk, YES! Love it!
"He's more real-world now than whif..."

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »
Noticed the Cricket Dio.. clever idea