Author Topic: Dewoitine 460 China  (Read 2245 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Dewoitine 460 China
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »
In 1933 Dewoitine received an order from the Chinese for a ground attack aircraft, along with the specifics of the requirement.
Fortunately, the model 460 was being tested just then, and with a few mods this was deemed acceptable.
Armed with 2 x 7.7mm  guns under the wings, to suit the Chinese, a 9mm gun was added in front of the pilot. Various bombs could be carried
up to 990lb on three racks while attaining a speed of 225mph, or 235 downhill, flat out with a tail wind.
The overseas order allowed the French to buy 45 for training, while 45 more model 461s went to China.

The remaining  29 French models, without the 9mm, were in Africa when WW2 broke out, and were used with limited success against all comers, the last being 11 reverting to training in 1942 and written off in 1943.
The Chinese used theirs with great success against the Japanese, Lt Kim Wong, Chinese American ex U.S. Navy pilot, even shot down three Ki 27s while flying one.
The fast roll and tight turn ability of the 461 kept it in use until 1943 in the front line, and the last 18 in second line rolls until 1944 when spares ran out.
Lt Wong was once heard to say that "I knew it would be good as soon as I saw it. It's the spats you know!"  ;)

If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Dewoitine 460 China
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
Nice build & gives BdB a run on his spat monopoly! :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:24:55 AM »
If that's Wong, I don't wanna be right!

Great stuff, Mr Flyer and my what lovely spats your D-460 has!
 :-* :-* :-*
The intimidation factor is off the charts!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 01:37:41 AM »
The intimidation factor is off the charts!

Agreed. The spats alone would have made the D.460 a terrifying ground attack aircraft for its opponents  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 02:09:10 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.