Author Topic: Scale-O-Rama Glencoe Models M274 Mechanical Mule 1/15th to 1/35th  (Read 11111 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Scale-O-Rama Glencoe Models M274 Mechanical Mule 1/15th to 1/35th
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2024, 09:38:09 PM »
My prototype scaled up Mule has been destroyed in the process of prototyping.  It had lasted as long as possible before realization finally checked in to make me finally admit that this horse was indeed dead. 

Not a complete loss though as I learned what not to do on the next iteration of this idea.  This after all was a learning experience and that means mistakes will be made in pursuit of the idea.  Sharing the WIP will continue as I began again on Mega-Mule Mk.2. 

Some work was done on the new cargo platforms last night/early this morning to assess how badly warped they are.  Also some minor cleanup of surface features that are out of scale. 

Thank you all for the support given and suggestions on the Mk.1 Mule.  I hope to get further with this second attempt. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
You have my sympathy and heart-felt respect - sometimes things work and sometimes they don’t. For what it’s worth, I am hugely impressed that you are moving on to the Mk 2 - remember, that which does not kill us makes us stronger!  :icon_alabanza: :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Hi Claymore.  No need for the sympathy.  The prototype Mega Mule Mk.1 was just that, an experiment to see what could be done.  While along the way there was some "permanence" to the modifications so disassembly to continue the process was a dead end on progress going forward with the existing Mega Mule Mk.1. 

The next iteration of Mule will continue with the modifications once I can get the cargo platform a bit less warped.  Out of the box, the Glencoe Mule suffers from major warping issues with the cargo platform.  So much so that I have had to remove the side railings on the cargo platform in order to even try and make the thing flat.  A minor win on that effort is to take two of the cargo platforms and glue the things together to give it more strength but one platform looks like a a "C" in appearance from the end on view.  The second platform has a bowl shape to it so combining the two is probably the best solution to the problem.  Getting the damned things flat enough to do so is the challenge.     
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg