Author Topic: Bristol Bergen I  (Read 3523 times)

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Bristol Bergen I
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »
Falcon set #8, RAF bombers part #1

Thanks for that kitnut ... if I'd proofed my post, I'd have noticed my 8 + ) code glitch  :P
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
Falcon set #8, RAF bombers part #1

Thanks for that kitnut ... if I'd proofed my post, I'd have noticed my 8 + ) code glitch  :P

No worries, I had missed what you had posted too  -----

Mind you, that Airfix Mk.1 looks quite tasty ---- might have to pick one (or two) up if I see them at the LMS. I've got the Modelcraft ex-Frog Mk.1 kit which actually has two complete kits in the box (which is why I know there's a vacuform canopy for it, the ones on the box are not very good)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:40:17 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 03:47:52 AM »
There seems to have been a lot of re-issues/re-brandings of that ex-Frog Mk.1 (an excellent kit for its day).

No doubt someone has plans for a vacuform canopy for the new Airfix kit(s). Of course, that doesn't help Acree in the short-term ... go trimotor Blenheim  :)
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alternative History AFV guy
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »
How's about doing something like this with the second canopy-less Mk I model, with a Hurricane or Spitfire on top?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:39:18 PM by Claymore »
Friendly fire isn't and suppressive fire rarely does!

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 01:52:05 AM »
VERY interesting idea!!  Thanks!

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alternative History AFV guy
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 01:58:07 AM »
VERY interesting idea!!  Thanks!

You are most welcome.  Really looking forward to seeing the Bergen come to life.
Friendly fire isn't and suppressive fire rarely does!

Offline Acree

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »
The Bergen is back on track!  My newly ordered Blenheim IF kit arrived yesterday and I lost no time checking and assembling the nose parts. I'm quite happy with the look, though there is a very slight ridge to the nose where there is a very minor mismatch in pieces.  But I think it will be easily remedied during final finish and paint. 
Bergen 5 by cacree, on Flickr

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 04:27:21 AM »
If it's not already glued into place, you could mount the two halves of the windscreen so as to eliminate the step (which it likely to be a b!tch to get rid of otherwise) and then use some .005" - .010" strip to fill the small gap at the back of the cockpit.

Paul

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 04:34:22 AM »
BTW, are you thinking of using a pair of narrow struts and bracing wires as with the actual floatplane version or a mono-strut float with no wires? The latter will be a lot cleaner aerodynamically.

Also, you could semi-recess the torpedo in the underside. That would produce a really slick looking and purpose-built torpedo bomber.

If you had a spare Defiant turret laying about, that wold really make it look like a purpose-built variant.  ;)

Paul

Offline Acree

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
BTW, are you thinking of using a pair of narrow struts and bracing wires as with the actual floatplane version or a mono-strut float with no wires? The latter will be a lot cleaner aerodynamically.

Also, you could semi-recess the torpedo in the underside. That would produce a really slick looking and purpose-built torpedo bomber.

If you had a spare Defiant turret laying about, that wold really make it look like a purpose-built variant.  ;)

Paul

I plan on a float mounting very similar to the Bolingbroke's (though not exactly the same).  I will externally mount the torpedo, thus preserving the bombay for use with regular gravity bombs. 

Although I like some of your ideas, I am not creating an "improved" Blenheim, merely a straight adaptation to Norwegian torpedo bomber needs. 
That being said, I am enjoying this kit so much (despite the warped canopy) that I am considering all sorts of mods (e.g., French license built version with French engines... maybe even inlines).  And I am definitely doing the "Mistel" equivalent Claymore suggested.  If it fits the rules, I'll do that for the drone/UAV GB. 

Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate them, even if I don't use them right at the time. 

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 01:52:07 AM »
I plan on a float mounting very similar to the Bolingbroke's (though not exactly the same).  I will externally mount the torpedo, thus preserving the bombay for use with regular gravity bombs. 

If a torpedo was mounted semi-recessed, the recesses could also hold bombs instead of retaining the bomb bay, just line them up one behind the other. It would also allow larger bombs to be carried than could fit in the existing bay.

Although I like some of your ideas, I am not creating an "improved" Blenheim, merely a straight adaptation to Norwegian torpedo bomber needs. 
Given that the Bolingbroke on floats didn't go into production and was a Canadian prototype, one could easily surmise that Bristol Aircraft, in England, might have gone with a more unitary float if it went into production.

Form your point of view as the modeller, I was looking for a rational excuse to use a single strut float as it's bound to be easier to build and get even than a canted and wire braced set of floats.  ;)

Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate them, even if I don't use them right at the time.

No problem. I got all kinds of ideas that I give away for free. I hardly ever think anyone will use them.  ;D

Looking forward to how this will turn out.

Paul

Offline Acree

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 06:34:14 AM »
A single-strut (pylon) float attachment would certainly be easier from a modelling standpoint, and I LOVE the look (ever since I first saw a photo of an N-3PB). But I think the multi-strut arrangement is more in line with my vision for this particular WHIF, and I am looking forward to the challenge.  I think I have figured out how to make it "easy" (relatively speaking) - we'll see if that bears out!  I will post photos and comments as I go.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
Some time ago I bought a couple of packets of this product, it would greatly help you with the struts and such

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/struts-tube-rod-for-the-smaller-biplane-con004-contrail-models-pl4-various-conversions/product/?action=prodinfo&art=5508

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
Some time ago I bought a couple of packets of this product, it would greatly help you with the struts and such

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/struts-tube-rod-for-the-smaller-biplane-con004-contrail-models-pl4-various-conversions/product/?action=prodinfo&art=5508

I just checked the Contrails online store and this product is nolonger listed/available.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »

I just checked the Contrails online store and this product is nolonger listed/available.

I looked there but I didn't get it from them, I'm sure I got it from Aeroclub who used to produce it. It was acquired by John Adams from the original Contrail Models (note no 's' on the end of Contrail)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:35:32 PM by kitnut617 »