Author Topic: F-106G Dart 2000  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Re: F-106G Dart 2000
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 02:04:05 AM »
My canopy change will be more radical even than that.  I am attempting to use a Eurofighter Typhoon canopy.  I have a backup plan if that fails. 

The whole canopy / radome / nose re-engineering is the biggest challenge for me right now.

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 02:36:12 AM »
Semi-related: this thread made me read up on F-106, and repeated exposure to front views of her made me realize that especially with the original canopy and those inlets she must certainly have been at least a partial inspiration for the Colonial Vipers from Battlestar Galactica.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »
This is off topic, but the original designers used X-15, F-104, F-4 and F-107 as their inspiration for the 'compact' (27') Colonial Vipers.
Oops  :-[ forgot F4D Skyray :)
Cheers all  8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:58:24 PM by FAAMAN »
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Acree

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 02:57:05 AM »
I have made some progress on the Dart 2000.  The first picture below shows the F-110 in the package - nice little kit with detail few will ever see (brass flame holders deep inside the afterburner).  The second pic shows the F-110 built up next to the kit pats it replaces.  The third shows the new engine nozzle in situ (temporarily).  The F-110 will sit further aft than the j-75 due to center of gravity issues and to allow the variable nozzle to sit outside the shroud that covered the J-75's fixed nozzle. 

Next, I have begun to tackle the intakes.  I took the intakes from an F-15C (Hasegawa) and cut them down in all three dimensions to mate up with the F-106 intake trunking.  Much PSR follows and I still need at least one more PSR session, but you can get the idea.

I have also started work on the cockpit and nose changes.  More pics soon!

Chuck

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 06:59:04 AM »
Way cool!!  8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:40 AM »
This is awesome!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
Wonder how the vertical fin from an F-16 would look on the F-106?  Especially one of the fins that includes the parachute housing.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Acree

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 03:00:48 AM »
Got some more done on the Dart 2000.  Today's photos show the nose work.  It actually went easier than I expected...  after a lot of playing around and thinking.  The first photo shows the new nose without radome, the second with radome (not glued), and the third is a peek into the cockpit.  The last pic is a leftover from last time showing the new intakes again.

Offline kerick

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
Looking good! I'm taking notes

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:33 AM »
Fascinated how well these changes are integrating into an F-106. :)

Offline Acree

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
Tonight's update is focused on the closed-off weapons bay and gun installation.  The gun "pod" represents a permanent installation and consists of the wingroot and gunport from an F-15C and some chunk of random bomb leftover.  There is actually a six-barrel cannon inside that gun port, but you can't see it in the pics (and barely in real life). 

Enjoy, and feel free to comment!

Chuck

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 03:32:39 AM »
Excellent changes. All well thought-through, plausible, and neatly executed. Go Acree!  :D
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline Acree

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
Thanks, Apophenia! 

I have made a good bit of progress since the last update.  Wings are on, canopy is on and masked.  Wingtip missile rails are mounted along with under-fuselage rails.  Due to limited available length I went with only two fuselage rails, meaning total loadout will be 4 x AIM-120 (2 fuselage, 2 wingtip) and 4 x AIM-9L.  To canard, or not to canard?!?  After much indecision and a little advice from my son, I decided to mount canards low on the nose with anhedral to help prevent disrupting airflow into the intakes.  These are modified horizontal stabilizers from an Me 262. 

The model has been primed in overall white, which makes for horrible photos, but at least you can see the overall shape.  Enjoy, and as always, comments welcome!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »
That's looking a bit funky! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kerick

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 06:02:12 AM »
This looks awesome. Are you going with a traditional F-106 scheme for markings or something different?