Author Topic: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line  (Read 9867 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »
Hi all here is another update

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 04:56:20 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 03:20:38 AM »
Hi all well this kit comeso with no anchors for the boats so I've knocked some up, also  there are no oars, I've checked a few builds not of the heller kits and they don't seem to have any either, were they stored below decks or should they be there.

Sorry my build rate has slowed so much, but I get some done when I can fit it in and am not feeling too knackered.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
"As & when you can" is what the hobby's all about, mate. No need to apologise! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2016, 03:31:11 AM »
Hi all well still on this, not much to show, I seem to have lost any skill I had, this is looking so shabby, showed so much potential when I started it, I thought the wood effect was great (I know bit big headed but I did think it was a good effect) seems to have gone down hill since then, sorry.

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2016, 05:37:07 AM »
The wood effects are stunning. And if the bling-y bits qualify as "shabby", I'll need to find a way repointing my knitting needles!!
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
What he said!  That looks great to me.

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »
like it as well.

As to oars on boats, on more modern ships the oars are stored in the boats, generally stored centrally over the rowing benches and secured by ropes and I would see no reason why this would be a recent development, as really without the oars the boats are practically useless. I an cannot image fossicking around for oars when you are trying to launch a boat.
As a counter point though,  anchors appear to be much less commonly seen on long boats as either they were sea use or taken all the way onto shore. But there s every chance they were stored further down in the innards of the ships boats.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
Ship's Boat oars were always stored in the boat, either tied to the benches under the gunwales or along the centre of the boat (depending on length in relation to the boat).

Boat anchors were stored in the bow of the boat & were significantly smaller than the ones you've made but were, generally, until fairly recently, of the same form as ships' anchors. A large longboat anchor may have been 4' long but were generally in the 3' to 31/2' range because anything larger would require more than 2 men to manoeuvre, which was close to impossible in the tight bow space of a ship's boat.

If the build quality is dropping/has dropped significantly, I can't see it, mate! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2016, 03:18:29 AM »
I'm  bit late to this party but I just wanted to express my delight at such incredible detail work!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
Hi all a tiny update really just to show I'm still on this (I know it's not great but I figure I can remove all the gold and redo it, if and when my mojo returns.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »
Looks fine to me.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your mojo from here. This ship is epic! :icon_beer:
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.