Author Topic: Here are pics of my whif madness. Mark's Madness  (Read 52424 times)

Offline uarkram

• I have a razor-saw, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Re: Here are pics of my whif madness. Mark's Madness
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
And finally, 3 pics of the range-finders mounted.
Now I just have to wire up the I.R. lights, add handels to the hatches, and add tools.
I don't know what markings I'm going to put on it, but I think I will use yellow/blue numbers.
I think that would look better then the red/black ones.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2015, 03:35:13 AM »
Looking good.

What have you done with the hull MG - looks like it is up gunned as well.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
Yup, sure did.
I had a spare 20mm barrel laying around, so why not?

The role I envision for this TD, is long range tank killer, of course. Picture this sitting on the reverse slope on a ridge in the plains of central Russia, just waiting. That's why I painted the upper casement a light blue. From a long distance it will blend into the sky line. The Mg. 34 just wouldn't cut the mustard.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 07:53:12 AM »
JagdBar update.
Let me tell you how much Archer Fine Transfers kicks butt.
Ordered Tuesday, shipped out the same day, and they got here (PA) today. Thank you Archer.
Added a platform for the commander to stand on, and cut a hole in the roof for him. That should do it, because I'm not making anymore changes.
I should get most of the weathering done this weekend.
Enjoy!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2015, 05:28:14 AM »
Nice  :)  Those range-finders do make all the difference.

... I had a spare 20mm barrel laying around ...

MG151/20?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline uarkram

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
Thanks apophenia. The range finders do look good, but the yellow/blue numbers set it off.

The JagdBar is assembled, with all parts attached, and markings added. The shield with the vulture head on it is from StuG Abtl. 259. That decal came out of the old Tamiya JagdPanzer IV kit. The sheet has markings for 2 StuG's on it, but aren't called out on the instruction sheet.

I'm going to let it set overnight, and I'll spray the first gloss coat tomorrow.
I think it looks pretty good.
Enjoy!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
Went back and followed build postings.  Bang up job bringing it all together  :)
Heck of a long barrel high velocity gun.  Must be an experience inside when it fires.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
No kidding, and VERY cramped with the range-finder equipment, and a 20mm auto-cannon +ammo.
If I build another one I will do it a lot different. I would place the casement at the rear, and extend the hull slightly. The driver would have his own compartment at the left front.

Since someone else built this I didn't have a choice, I just went with it.

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »
Nice design and re-build, looks mean with that BIG gun.
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2015, 02:44:46 AM »
I call it a SturmBar

Make that Sturm Bär and you have "Storm Bear" - which seems quite appropriate for me. ;)

Offline uarkram

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
I thought of Sturm Bar, but it can also mean assault. With Jagd you know it's on the hunt, besides I have something in mind for the Storm Bear. ;)

This is the first steps in weathering. After I sprayed on the clear gloss coat, 48 hours later I did my black wash. I used Tamiya X-19,Smoke (clear black) because it is easy to use, and since they are acrylic based they won't harm the enamel base.

I didn't do any panel fading, 'cause I like the paint the way it is. I'll add a dirt wash next, and a final wash of Burnt Umber, with some dry-brushing for good measure.

Enjoy.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2015, 08:52:56 PM »
While waiting for the black wash to dry on the bear, I was going through parts boxes, and found ANOTHER box queen. Last count that makes an even dozen. Started in '07, packed up when I moved in '08, and hasn't been touched since.

It's my version of a Flak Panther mounting a automatic 75mm cannon, also in there were parts to a radar. I pulled it out and assembled it  (it was in sub-assembly's), and it didn't look half bad. While looking at it I saw that the gun mount was out of alignment, then I saw why. The turret is an old solid resin one (Cromwell's, I think), and the flanges that hold the mantlet in the turret weren't completely cast all the way, and had a sort of wave in it. Then I saw problem #2, the rectangular part of the mantlet was warped in two axis.

Then my A.M.S. kicked in.
The fixes for both problems were simple, just took a little time. The first was solved by sanding down the sides of the round part of the mantlet, getting them square, and adding new flanges from styreen rod.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:17:55 PM by uarkram »

Offline uarkram

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »
Problem #2 was fixed by adding 2mm square shims to the upper right/ lower left sides of the top/bottom plates. I then cut new plates from .02 sheet them added them. The valleys on the sides  were filled in down the center with .02 strip. I took the BIG sanding stick, squared them off, added .005 sheet plates. While I was at it I marked the front plate, drilled a hole in it, made a new plate from .02, drilled a hole in that, and attached it to the mantlet.
I added short pieces of rod to the front/back of the top plate for the weld seams, I well texture them later. The dust cover was coated with green putty, to make it look like an armored cover.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:25:13 PM by uarkram »

Offline uarkram

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
The hole was drilled to accept a short length of aluminum tube. A slightly larger tube  was slipped into the dust cover ( made from the ear protector that the doctors use), which in turn had the barrel slipped into it. 3 pieces of tubing, and a dust cover, will ensure that the gun is always on target.
The barrel has a piece of styreen tube in the muzzel end for scale thickness.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
The automatic gun would need an extension for the auto-loader, more ammo storage, r/o, and radar set. I liked the rear hatch, so I flipped it up-side down and cut it off. The resulting flat spot is where the extension will go.
I drew out a quick overhead view of the extended turret to check spacing, and layout, and the black line is center, and is for alignment.
A couple of problems have popped up, but they are fixable. The chassis is an old DML Panther 'F' with the heating tower, and the extended turret won't fit with it in place. Instead of chopping up the engine deck, cut off the turret ring, move it 5 mm to the rear, and your done. The turret will still clear the hatches in front after you move it forward.
The other problems have to do with the radar, but I'm not at that stage yet.
All this took place in the last 3 days, while weathering the bear, and yes I went work.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:28:58 PM by uarkram »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2015, 03:07:12 AM »
Love it!  May well copy it! :)

Granddaddy of the Otomatic 76-mm SPAAG:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2015, 09:11:22 AM »
Liking the Flak Panther more than the JagdBar, but both are excellent builds. 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline uarkram

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2015, 03:37:31 PM »
Thanks guys.
The Flak panther is my own design, but the bear is just a conversion of someone else's work. Trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear.
When I do another conversion of a SturmTiger it won't look like that at all. The one I designed has the casement at the rear, and looks so much cooler, at least in my mind!

I have another design for a 3 barreled, 75mm Flak gun with the barrels arranged 'Gatling' style. The gun mount is  pretty big, so it is restricted to a E-100 sized chassis or larger. If I can find my little green book (where I put my designs), I'll take a pic of the drawing I made and post it.

If any of you guys want to copy an idea of mine, go right ahead. There have been many times when I have gotten inspiration from other modelers, many who are on this site.
Enjoy!

Offline uarkram

« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »
While the clear coat is drying on the Bear, I made the radar dish for the Flak Panther.

The frame of the dish is a LEGO part I traded with my son for. The blue thing pointing at the dish is a ornament from one of those little Christmas trees you set on the table. The mesh is from a Tamiya M-48A3 kit, it's the stuff they give you to put on the turret basket. The rest is spare parts, a paperclip, and styreen rod, sheet, tube, etc. I still have to add wiring, and more electrical parts.

I made the radar first, so I can see how much space it will take up. I was going to do a lattice type mount, but I didn't think it would be strong enough, too fragile. The rest of the turret is soaking in Easy Off oven cleaner, to get the old paint & primer off.
If it seems tilted or off center, it is. I used silly putty to hold it together for the pics.  It's in 3 pieces for painting.

Enjoy.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:40 AM »
Looking good

Offline uarkram

« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »
Been working alot the past few days, but managed to get some stuff done.
The Bear clear coat is dry, so today I can start dry-brushing.
I added detail to the control panel on the radar. 2 switches, 3 gauges, and 4 buttons are in there now. The turret body has been stripped, and is ready for surgery.
With the Labor Day holiday coming up I should be able to get some bench time in, hopefully.
That's it for now, Enjoy.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2015, 11:40:56 PM »
The Flak Panther project is rolling right along.
The radar is complete, wired up, and primed. I put a cast texture on the armored gun cover, and am cutting out the plates for the extension.
I'm taking my time while adding the extension, because the resin is getting brittle, and I don't want to cause more damage then I have to.

Since the other flak panzers are named after winds and weather, I was thinking about Lightning Storm. That's a cool name, but I am open to suggestions.
Enjoy.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2015, 02:41:21 AM »
Since the other flak panzers are named after winds and weather, I was thinking about Lightning Storm. That's a cool name, but I am open to suggestions.

Lightning Storm translates (to the best of my knowledge) as "Gewitter".  An alternate might be "Blitzeinschlag" which is "Lightning Strike".

Offline uarkram

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:46 AM »
 'Lightning Strike', that sounds cool, and I like it.

The extension is complete and looks alright, but has highlighted 2 other problems I didn't see coming.
First the extension pics.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »
The first problem is my own fault. The radar is too big for the turret, and takes up too much space. The R.O. will have almost no room for his hatch, and other equipment. I'm going to make a whole new radar, andI have smaller dishes, but have to find them first.

The second problem is tied into the first ( and is the more serious of the two). The roof lay out with the existing details is wrong. When it was a two man turret the set-up was fine, gunner on the left, commander on the right, but since I made the turret larger it looks like crap to me.
Normally changing details is no problem, unless the turret is solid resin. You have to be VERY careful when doing that, so the vibration from the motor-tool won't crack the resin. The entire lay-out needs to be re-done or else it won't look right. I want to move the commander to the rear, and give him a cupola. The close in defense mortar,  and the smaller round port have to be removed. 

Enjoy.