Author Topic: Upgunned Tanks  (Read 16575 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Upgunned Tanks
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:39:44 AM »

Taking the idea of installing a Cavalier turret further, this Matilda now has a Cromwell turret with a QF 75mm (though whether the gun is a 6 pounder or a 75mm, the upgunned tank ought to have competitive firepower against the Type 3 Chi-Nu lol)......  I was inspired by the World of Tanks game and a picture of the aforementioned Cavalier turret upgrade and hope I can do the same thing when the game introduces the UK tank tech trees......

This is inspired by not only the WoT game as well but also a past conversation with Arc3371.  T-34M, in addition to using the torsion bar suspension, seems to have fixed a host of other weaknesses with the original T-34 design.  Too bad the Germans came too early.

(Having said that, T-34 as a tank equipped with Christie suspension remained influential long enough to hold a special place in my mind.  Not a place better than the Sherman, but special nonetheless.)

Originals taken from WW2 Drawings.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:08:51 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Re: Upgunned Tanks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:14:05 AM »

Something doesn't seem right on this one, since the Crusader tank is said to have a turret ring diameter of 55.5" whereas Matilda has one of 54.3", yet I couldn't seem to match the drawing......?

Either way, I like the Cavalier/Cromwell turret better.

Source of the originals is the same as the previous post.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:45:21 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline BadersBusCompany

• Profiler and Blanker...he did say Blanker...whew!
  • Profiler
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
It looks great either way!!
Driving trains when I'd rather be drawing planes!!

Offline dy031101

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »

Valentine infantry tank with a 25 pounder gun turret of Sentinel AC3.

According to this and this, Valentine actually has a bigger turret ring (57.5") than the Sentinel AC1~AC3 (54")!  Hum......

WW2 Drawings does not have a good drawing for the AC3 Sentinel, however, so I was forced to make do with a rough drawing from here, and the turret part therefore doesn't look as good......
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:37:05 PM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
How about a Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger upgunned post war with a Royal Ordnance L7 105mm gun?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline dy031101

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
How about a Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger upgunned post war with a Royal Ordnance L7 105mm gun?

Hum......

Same source of originals.  The L7 gun barrel is a result of my manipulation and my best guess in a hurry......
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:37:06 AM by dy031101 »

Offline BadersBusCompany

• Profiler and Blanker...he did say Blanker...whew!
  • Profiler
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »
 :want: HOLY SH*T!!   :in-love:
Driving trains when I'd rather be drawing planes!!

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:51:32 AM »
:D

Offline dy031101

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:00:24 AM »

Virtually 2D version of Wyrmshadow's stuff.  Same source of originals, except I didn't bother going monochrome for them because the curtains match (roughly) the carpets this time around.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:06:11 AM by dy031101 »

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
Yep loooove Wyrmy. Has anyone invited that boy over here?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
Yep loooove Wyrmy. Has anyone invited that boy over here?

Not yet - anyone got his email?

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
Went there, did that :yarr:

Offline dy031101

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
Question- how does the 25 pounder do as a tank gun?  It is said that it gives the AC3 a serviceable anti-tank and high-explosive weapon- okay, but can I assume that they are effective against late-war tanks over normal combat range except for the aspect of rate of fire?

I mean...... the AC3 turret just might make for an interesting combination with all those other infantry tanks......
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:59:55 PM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:08:42 AM »
How about some M1s, ChallengerIIs and Leclercs upgunned with 140mm (or larger? guns?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 05:19:15 AM »
It might not seem like a lot, but what about a Panzer II upgunned with a 37mm instead of the standard 20mm antitank gun?

Regards,

Greg